EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-26-14, 10:39 AM   #21
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Default R410a

By the way , you all probably already know this . But , on the off chance some one does not , I will throw it in .

I read R410a is a blend / mix of 2 types / kinds of refrigerants . Instructions say to always charge with liquid ( tank up side down ) .

On my leak , I was fortunate enough to catch it while it still had a little pressure in the system . I valved off both service valves , so I did not have to worry about air / moisture entering the system .

Of course , it did when I re-flared the small line . When I vacuumed the system down , I was really only pulling a vacuum on the lines and the indoor fan coil unit .

I have read of the 3rd world method of just purging the lines with a little R410a gas . With the equipment , copper , insulation , tooling , etc. , plus the labor that went into the install . I was not about to take a chance on that method !

Besides , I had already made one dumb mistake ! :-( And , I had long ago acquired the tooling to evacuate the system .

By the way , my unit has only a 1/4" service fitting , on the large service valve . But not on the small service valve . I have since learned not to call them high pressure and low pressure valves / lines . I read that , in heat pump mode , the high side becomes the low side , and vice versa ?

I have read there MAY be a service fitting on the small line , inside the condenser cabinet ?

I am surprised , I figured the mini split would use the service fittings found on automotive R134a systems ? But mine does not .

God bless
Wyr

WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-14, 11:14 AM   #22
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by WyrTwister View Post
I can vouch for Nylog Blue for R410a and R134a ( automotive ) use . I think they make Nylog Red for mineral oil systems ? R12 or R22 units .

God bless
Wyr
Nylog Blue also works on R22 and R12.
Old 01-26-14, 12:16 PM   #23
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Nylog Blue also works on R22 and R12.
Good to know , Thank you . :-)

I did not know if it would contaminate the mineral oil ?

I have read that Nylog is polymerized refrigeration oil ? In the case of Blue , I guessed it was POE ester oil ?

Before I start up my central A/C condenser , next spring / summer , I need to swap out the Schrader valves . ( I have the tool to do this w/o discharging the R22 . )

The system has a very slow leak , that I have not found anywhere else in the system & Schrader valves are a likely suspect ?

I had planed to coat the new Schrader valves with mineral oil , but from what you have told me , Nylog Blue would be OK , too ?

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-14, 03:32 PM   #24
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Service valve leaks are very common, especially if the installer didn't remove the valve cores while brazing the connections.
Old 01-26-14, 05:13 PM   #25
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may
Default Huh???

Quote:
Originally Posted by NiHaoMike View Post
Service valve leaks are very common, especially if the installer didn't remove the valve cores while brazing the connections.
Brazing connections? Why would you ever braze a flare connection? Please help, I don't get it.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-14, 05:48 PM   #26
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Brazing connections? Why would you ever braze a flare connection? Please help, I don't get it.
Most central units in the US use brazed connections.