EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Biofuels
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-01-13, 08:09 PM   #51
Kip
Cajun Innovater

Geo NR Gee -

I tried to reply to your PM, but my post count has to be at least 15 for me to send PM's and I only have 3, wait...4 now! Moving up! (nope, still 3)

Maybe I spoke incorrect, my apologizes.
My Sister lives in Kent, and she will be here at my place this weekend.
Not I in Kent. You guys can have all that cold weather, I'm a southern boy who needs to stay above the freezing point.....But will be up there this spring!

Thanks!

Kip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-13, 01:32 AM   #52
Geo NR Gee
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Nice looking shop. I like the elevator platform lift. You said you want to spend around $500? I would look in the local craigslist for a wood stove and put in the secondary burn tubes. I would also incorporate the fresh air intake into it.

The biggest expense is going to be the stove pipe. Around here you can find new stove pipe for resale all of the time. But you have to make sure that the pipe is the same if you are going to buy it in bits and pieces. The locking tabs on the different pipe won't match up if I remember correctly.
Geo NR Gee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-13, 07:10 AM   #53
Kip
Cajun Innovater

Thanks...

Ok, so I m on the lookout for a barrel heater with secondary burn tubes..
Uh, what is a secondary burn tube? Is that the second barrel on top?
So a two barrel heater is what I'm looking for?

I will have to google the burn tubes......

Ok, so stove pipe will be the biggest expense here.
Tractor Supply sells stove pipe, and I think that may be the only place around here that does sell it.
Link: at Tractor Supply Co.
Let me know if this is good enough if you don't mind.

When I said $500, that doesn't have to be exact, I just didn't want it to cost me 6 months salary.......know what I mean.

Thanks
Old 01-02-13, 09:27 AM   #54
greif
a van down by the river

Does anyone have problems with insurance? Don't think insurances like wood burning in garages/shops

“If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom. ” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
greif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-13, 09:29 AM   #55
Kip
Cajun Innovater

Good question.
I'll have to check on that.
Old 01-02-13, 10:06 AM   #56
Kip
Cajun Innovater

Just talked to my agent. Bad news.
No wood burning, or floor level heating is allowed in any type of work shop.
I do understand, but not happy about it.

So my shop is 30x30x18 so that's 16,200 cubic foot I need to heat.
My agent said that I need to get a ceiling suspended heater. Electric of gas is fine as long as its ceiling mounted.

Any suggestions?

Thanks guys,
Kip
Old 01-02-13, 10:26 AM   #57
Kip
Cajun Innovater

Hey again guys,
Lurking around the internet, I found a BTU calculator on this site.BTU Calculator - Work out your heating BTU requirements with our BTU Calculator.
This thing is saying that I need 708,750 BTU/hr to heat my shop to 70° from an outside temp of 0°. I used 0° as a worst case scenario.
Feels like my ship just sunk.........

So now what ¿
Old 01-02-13, 10:31 AM   #58
Daox
Administrator

I believe you can have an outdoor wood furnace without insurance issues. Since its outside its not as big a risk. You could even use an indoor one outside by making some simple/small structure around it. This is what I am planning for supplemental heat for my garage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-13, 10:37 AM   #59
MN Renovator
Less usage=Cheaper bills

For what it is worth, I have an insulated garage and can heat my smallish/averagish 2 car attached garage with a 100k BTU propane torpedo/tube style heater to a comfortable temperature to work on a car within about 30 minutes when it is snowing outside.

In an R13 fiberglass insulated garage with drywall at my buddies house, we had it going for 15 minutes and I'm out working on a car comfortably and once we hit 30 minutes it was sweltering, we shut it off and were in the garage for over an hour later and didn't feel like we would have needed to fire it back up for awhile. I think the calculator is a little lost because I've seen decent sized 8 car auto shops with a 6 burner overhead gas heater which would be about 150k BTU and they aren't constantly running. Have you, or could you add insulation, even a quick job of fiberglass insulation would do quite a bit?
MN Renovator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-13, 11:45 AM   #60
Kip
Cajun Innovater

I can add insulation after I complete the remaining circuits on the wall that is not finished inside. It will be R-19 like the other walls when I'm complete.
I looked at the torpedo a few minutes ago at tractor supply. They have a 190,000 BTU on clearance for $339 Tri-Fuel, Diesel, Kerosine, or Oil.
But remembered my agent said no open flames at floor level, and should be a ceiling mounted heater....

I'm on the hunt..............

Thanks,
Kip

Tags
furnace, modify, stove, wood