Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-06-10, 02:02 PM   #1
trikkonceptz
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Pre-heating shower / sink water

One of the things I hate the most is waiting for the hot water to come through my piping for showers or even washing dishes, etc ...

I know to address this type of concern tankless heaters were invented which deliver nearly instant hot water at any outlet installed near it, but even that solution is expensive when multiplied by water outlet sources ..

Therefore I thought of something else for new home or remodeled home designs. Why not run the hot water lines through the attic to the sources? This is almost ideal for those of us living in places like florida where attic temperatures stay well above 100 degrees year round.

By doing this the water in the pipes is already hot the instant you turn the water on. The only draw back is excessive heat when you open the hot water tap. In fact the ambient temperature of the pipes will likely force you to use less hot water altogether making this a win win. Enclose your water heater with a compartment open to the attic and now you have even better heat insulation for your heater, making it work less too.

As a by product we should be saving water as well not having to wait for the hot water to pour out ..

Am i missing something here?

trikkonceptz is offline   Reply With Quote