EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-20-19, 11:46 AM   #1
Bicycle Bob
Suncatcher

Default Steel Roof Tips

I recently had to re-roof an old house, and chose painted steel. To reduce the footprint created, I was careful to use both sides of the diagonal cuts and generally avoid scrap, and I used sawmill scrap for the strapping.
Information on how to put steel over shingles is hard to come by. The manufacturers don't want to discuss anything but all-new work, and the YouTube videos are somewhat contradictory. Doing it this way, I was able to do it all myself without risking disaster, and the old roof is still there for backup and insulation, etc.
If I were doing another house, I'd know a lot more about how to do the strapping in ways to make the rest easy, and various other tricks. Let me know if you have queries.

Bicycle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-19, 03:42 PM   #2
CrankyDoug
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I put a metal roof on my house nearly 20 years ago and never regretted it. The panels are actually polyester powder coated, not painted. I used 2X4 pressure treated sleepers over the asphalt shingles and shimmed them to account for settling.

My roof is a light gray. My neighbor installed red panels about a year after I did mine. There is some fading on both colors but not a speck of rust anywhere. My neighbor changed the screws on his roof two years ago and I will be doing the same this spring. The rubber washers are cracking and the screw heads show some rust where the drill driver chipped the coating. It is a one day job and costs less than $100.

The biggest surprise I got was how much cooler it made the attic in the summer - at least 20F at mid-day. I was also preasantly surprised how the sound of rain on the roof puts me to sleep at night.

I cannot imagine ever having asphalt shingles again.

CrankyDoug is offline   Reply With Quote