EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-15-11, 11:41 AM   #1
Higgy
The Gardener

Default Well Water, iron, and water softeners

Hey all,

I recently moved into a house outside of the city and I'm now on well water. Problem is, it has a lot of iron in it so apparently the previous owners used something called Rescare which is a chemical which drips into the brine with the salt in order to remove the excess iron from the resin. I don't like using chemicals in my water as I don't want to be drinking it or washing ourselves with it (not that we drink it as we have a reverse osmosis filter for drinking). Does anyone know a better way to remove iron? I know there are filtration systems but I also don't want to spend hundreds of dollars a year for iron filters.

I also found that Canada has something called a Hydroflow which electrically softens the water, but it still doesn't remove all the iron.

Does anyone live on well water that knows what to do for this that is more natural then using chemicals?

Thanks.

Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-11, 12:09 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

My cousin had a big problem with iron in his water. A good setup I think he said was going to cost him like $2k. He ended up putting in a few cheaper filters instead. I don't know how often he goes through them, but his iron is bad, bad like one week after scrubbing their tub clean it had orange iron stain on it again.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-11, 02:53 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

There is thing: Pelican NaturSoft NS3 Salt Free Water Softener - $1,345.00

Does anyone know about these softeners that don't use salt? Sounds like the way to go to me. I mean a water softener isn't cheap (although this is still quite a bit more), but this thing doesn't use any salt, no power usage or anything.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote