EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-03-11, 08:13 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Picked up a Par20 LED light today

For a while I've been looking for dimmable Par 20 lights that are more efficient than the 50W halogen lights I've been using. Tonight I had to run by the home improvement store and found a dimmable LED by Sylvania that claimed to be a 50W replacement. Now, the box only says it puts out 350 lumens, but I have to say it is a good replacement. I think it is a narrower beam, but I don't need a wide angle for my application anyways. I put it above my range where we do most of the cooking. Its not incredibly efficient at 8W, but its a heck of a lot better than a halogen light. Also, the price was pretty high @ $26. But, if it lasts as long as it is supposed to (50k hrs), I'll be quite happy with the purchase.

Sylvania link: http://www.sylvania.com/BusinessProd...20DIMMABLE.htm

The light (package):

Here it is on, its still a little light out outside as you can see. More than enough light to work, especially when combined with the under cabinet lighting.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house 002.jpg
Views:	1983
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	1319   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 003.jpg
Views:	2613
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	1320  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 03-03-11 at 08:15 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 02:10 PM   #2
TimJFowler
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Daox,

Did you take a before picture to compare the light quality and quantity from the halogen?

Did you plug the new LED light into a Kill-A-Watt to check its actual draw?

Thanks,
Tim

TimJFowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-11, 03:50 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

I have not done that. However, I will with a floor lamp and a situation that better shows the distribution of light so we can see exactly how they differ.

Some additional info. The package says a 50W halogen Par20 light puts out 550 lumens, and this led light puts out 350.

&

Last edited by Daox; 03-04-11 at 03:52 PM..
Old 03-05-11, 08:25 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Here we go, a proper comparison.

Here is the halogen and LED lights next to each other.

Here is my test stand.

Here is the halogen. It seems to be brighter (light output wise) in the center, but as you can see, it quickly fades as the diameter grows.

Here is the LED. It is hard to tell from the pictures, but it isn't quite as bright as the halogen is in the center. But, it does put out more light at a larger diameter and its very even until it hits a certain diameter then it just stops. I much prefer this in a light now looking at this comparison. Also, again the picture doesn't show it, but the light color is more white from the LED where as its more yellow from the halogen.

And, here is a chopped shot that shows both lights on the same picture. The left is the halogen and right is LED. Again the color is actually reversed (must be my camera), the halogen is actually more yellow and LED is more white. Once you put them side by side there doesn't appear to be a huge difference...

As for the energy consumption, the halogen used 53W (rated at 50W), and the LED used 9W (rated @ 8W).

Anyway, I think if I have any of the halogen lights burn out I'd replace them with these LEDs. But, right now I have 7 more fixtures for them to go in, and I'm not about to go pay $182 for new lights. I also really hope they last the 50k hrs they're rated for. So, I'm happy with the purchase despite the high price. I would like to see the power consumption reduced though, 43 lumens per watt is not very impressive.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	house 003.jpg
Views:	2294
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	1321   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 005.jpg
Views:	1838
Size:	35.2 KB
ID:	1322   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 007.jpg
Views:	1871
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	1323   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 009.jpg
Views:	1875
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	1324   Click image for larger version

Name:	house 010.jpg
Views:	1735
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	1325  

&

Last edited by Daox; 03-05-11 at 08:28 AM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
PaleMelanesian (03-07-11), Piwoslaw (03-05-11)
Old 03-05-11, 11:00 AM   #5
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

nice comparison. Still too pricey to warrant switching in my mind though.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 12:32 PM   #6
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Thanks for the comparison.
In the pictures, the LED looks like it's the same, or maybe barely brighter.
But both are bright enough to show how much dust is on the lamp stand, and the pawprint in the dust
Old 03-05-11, 12:56 PM   #7
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Thanks Tim -- if anything the LED looks like a warmer/redder color temperature? Which is different than LED were...
NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 05:58 PM   #8
Daox
Administrator

Its not actually warmer. That is just how the camera must have taken the picture. The LED is actually a little (not a ton) whiter than the halogen. The box says its supposed to be a 3000k color.

&
Old 03-05-11, 06:02 PM   #9
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

$26 is a pretty good price for a bulb that will last the rest of your life, half the price of what a bulb like that was selling for a year or so ago.
Where did you get it, or did you order it online?
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-11, 06:07 PM   #10
NeilBlanchard
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Yes, 3000K is slightly cooler/bluer than incandescent, but still close to the warm white range. Which is good.

I bought a few LED bulbs last year, and they were a bit more money than yours, but so far so good -- they are good bulbs. Though, some are not dimmable; oddly.

NeilBlanchard is offline   Reply With Quote