EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 02-23-14, 12:40 PM   #21
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Another thing that i like is it keeps the room even warm. Not so much of a difference . With the old radator heater . Right by the heater was like 68-70. And away on the other side youd bout freeze. The fins have a swing option. I keep it on that most of the time.

nokiasixteth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-14, 09:05 AM   #22
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Well my energy monitor finally made it to new york today. Just waiting still . Prob another 4 or 5 days.
Old 03-03-14, 10:17 AM   #23
WyrTwister
Master EcoRenovator

When I first started to think about a mini split , I did a lot of google searching for vendors .

As it turned out , several of the suppliers were selling to the indoor growers of " Mary Jane " . I decided to look else where .

You have got to know Uncle is monitoring those web sites . Or maybe not ? In our current political climate ?

For the record , I am anti drug . I do not care whoes toes that steps on !

Now , to another subject . Noise .

Our mini split is installed in our living / dining room . The mini split is very quite . Makes listening to TV much easier . :-)

Important to me as I am getting hard of hearing in my old age . :-(

God bless
Wyr
WyrTwister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-14, 01:27 PM   #24
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Yeah. That is one thing i like about the mini. So quiet . The winder unit i had was loud and i couldnt hear squat without turnin the tv up to 30.
Old 03-03-14, 03:40 PM   #25
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

What's a Chinese knock-off mini split supplier supposed to do? Bobby Joe's heating and cooling won't sell them because they don't say (pick one of the following: Carrier, York, Trane, Goodman) on the outside. Maybe someday, climo-cool will be a household name, right up there with audiovox. But for now, hippies, guerillas and voodoo doctors are the perfect customers. JUST DON'T TELL NOONE!!

EDIT: The Dept. of Homeland Scrutiny has the internet rigged so they can look anywhere back in time to find out where you've been and what you've been doing. Unless you employ highly advanced butt-covering methods, they can find out (after the fact) where you've been surfing and what you've been purchasing online. Thank you Patriot Act.

Last edited by jeff5may; 03-05-14 at 03:47 AM.. Reason: duh
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 06:18 PM   #26
waterdigger2
Helper EcoRenovator

How is your mini split doing on a day like today it has been unusually cold this year where did you pick it up at
waterdigger2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 06:42 PM   #27
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

I remember reading that a few degrees above freezing is a particularly bad point for air source heat pumps. Below freezing, most of the moisture would have froze out of the air so frost accumulation actually slows down.
Old 03-04-14, 09:12 PM   #28
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Wiretwister I suspect big brother is watching grow shops and supplies (lights & high tech hydroponic plant food ) and not the air conditioning retailers who may get infrequent farmers every so often looking for air-conditioners.
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 09:29 PM   #29
ecomodded
Supreme EcoRenovator

Nokiasixteth I have found a calculator for sizing mini-splits

Mini Split Calculator - PexSupply.com

Although I just used it and it gave me excessive requirements ie: 20x20 room required 24,000btu mini split ! and a 12x10 room needs a 7,500btu split. Needless to say its wrong and designed IMHO to strip you of your money in short order..

I used Seattle as my city as it is somewhat similar to my Canadian area climate.

I want to try to heat the whole upstairs 1,000ft with a 12,000Btu mini split, I can always use a little electric heat in the bedrooms if the winter is brutal or the mini split is actually undersized..

Last edited by ecomodded; 03-04-14 at 09:50 PM..
ecomodded is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-14, 10:47 PM   #30
nokiasixteth
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Depending on the temp you keep it . Mine is doing a pretty good job at keeping 550sq ft around 70 degrees in 30 degree weather. Thats pretty much coldest it gets here. It willl do the whole 1050 sq ft . Havent tried it in any lower than 28 degrees hasnt been any lower since i got the unit.