Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 05-16-12, 12:13 PM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Pressure testing old solar hot water panels

I'm looking for ideas on how to pressure test my solar hot water panels. I have 10 panels that need testing. So, I was thinking I'd get some expanding rubber plugs to plug the 1" copper header pipes (non-threaded), and fill them with air and put a pressure gauge on it. The only thing I've really been able to find are some rubber test plugs. The mcmaster number is 2644K18. They seem to have a bypass tube on them that I can hook up a pressure gauge to and also some form of filling valve. But, they say they aren't rated for air pressure!

A bit more searching shows a plug that can handle 100 psi, but it is a little over $20 per plug. I was hoping to get away for less than that I suppose. It also doesn't have the bypass to add a pressure gauge or filling valve.

So, I'm looking for other ideas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, pressure, solar, test