EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-16, 05:11 PM   #11
oil pan 4
Land owner

I was thinking about it some today and if I go with a 1 ton unit in the bed room I can leave it off all day. Right now my wife insists on leaving the window unit running 24 hours a day. She pays the power bill so I let her do what she wants.
If I can put in a split that can cool off the room kind of fast she says leaving it off is alright.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-16, 06:25 PM   #12
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

What size is your bedroom?
I have two units in smaller bedrooms and one in a very big bedroom.
The 9K and the 12K units have the same outdoor unit just different programming.
So I would put in the 9k more efficient unit in and maybe adjust it a couple degrees between day and night.
You will save more that way. These inverter units can hum along using very little energy.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-16, 08:22 PM   #13
mejunkhound
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Yep, what OilPan said about the MOVs, from each 120V line to CHASSIS.
I go by the very shortes tlead length, breaker or disconnect output direct to box metal - clean off the paint.

If you use GFCI breakers, the MOVs may draw 1 mA, so GFCI is more sensitive as already has a 1 mA GFCI current draw.
mejunkhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-16, 01:44 PM   #14
oil pan 4
Land owner

I am going to use a 240v split unit. I don't not believe SquareD QO has 2 pole GFI breakers.

The bedroom is around 300 to 400 square feet.
It can get to around 0'F and the wind blows hard in winter so that is one reason I am over sizing it a little.

Last edited by oil pan 4; 08-12-16 at 05:06 AM..
Old 08-12-16, 05:12 AM   #15
oil pan 4
Land owner

I went with a 9,000btu 25 seer 240v split.
Should be here Saturday or Monday.
Think I will install it by running a 10/3 wire along the base board, installing an outdoor rated QO rv power panel to act as both a junction for the split and as a welding power source.
Then I will put the outside unit on a concrete pad.
Old 08-12-16, 07:48 AM   #16
ledbalon
Lurking Renovator

Bottom line is that the units never really shut off. it is the on and off cycles that kill the bills. When just idling they do not draw much current.. But anytime you start a motor it kicks a huge current spike .. if you do this 100 times a day it really hits your electric bill. What sort of amazes me is that we have not seen the major ac companies come out with a retrofit outside unit that runs as an inverter style and change out the inside coil as needed with something along the lines of a cap tube
ledbalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-16, 01:14 PM   #17
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Sounds like a good unit.

More details where did you get it?
What model brand
Care to share the cost.
This is all good info for others making the same choices.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 08-12-16, 02:21 PM   #18
oil pan 4
Land owner

It's an off brand senville with a Toshiba compressor off eBay straight out of Compton for $990.
Also picked up a cheap manifold gauge and 2 stage vac pump. All I had before was my jerry rigged setup with a air powered vac pump and some lines, an automotive vacuum gauge and a 200 psi well water pump gauge.
For pulling out a large volume of air the air powered pump still wins but only draws about 1 inch of mercury away from an absolute vacuum.
Old 08-12-16, 03:08 PM   #19
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

A place about 1 hour away from me stocks and sells those. You will have to let us know your thoughts on these after you get it installed.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 08-14-16, 07:42 AM   #20
oil pan 4
Land owner

I got the manifold gauge set and vacuum pump in.
Its like a little hvac starter kit. The only thing it didn't come with is a beat up old white van, some meth and a criminal record.
The split unit should be here Monday. It all depends on if fedex decides to drop it off. They wont drop something off until the day its due to be delivered. They will ride around with something in the back of their truck for 2 days, drive right by my house both days and not drop it off. The estimated delivery was aug 12-19, so they should drop it off Monday.
Going to go pick up some 10/3 wire today and find an L14-30 plug to add to my air conditioner disconnect box. The L14-30 is not for the air conditioner.

Tags
15 seer, 23 seer, 25 seer, heat pump, split