EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 02-14-15, 11:47 PM   #11
warmwxrules
Helper EcoRenovator

Mini splits would be tough here...probably plenty of down time. I'd use a wood stove (i have one/just not installed//little kids need to get a little bigger//wife not thrilled) on those cold days (like today)...also need lots of southern exposure. Feb sun is getting nice and strong. Another thing..insulation...never enough insulation...

Over here that is tshirt weather. It was around 4F here for the high today...and that was not counting the 30mph winds all day. Didn't bother me much, but it was sunny and my house stays nice and toasty...once the sun goes down, the furnace comes back to life. -12F tonite.

The cold doesn't bother me that much, but i don't work out in it. When i'm out in it, i dress for it. Layers and layers...rarely take my stocking stocking cap off...wear gloves...long underwear pretty much all winter. I've been here my whole life and lived through some very cold winters...to me this winter has been a piece of cake, but the core of the cold seems to have shifted far east this year (as has the snow--very little here). For perspective, we usually see a few nights each winter around -20F...and -30Fs really aren't unheard of if you go back in time...just not much recently.

Move south? Get out of the US. Panama or Costa Rica. My older brother retires soon and i'm pushing him to go there (he'll have one of those fat government pension checks coming in monthly)...they are always going to Mexico to escape this crap.

warmwxrules is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air conditioner, diy, heat pump