EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-04-13, 01:17 PM   #81
Daox
Administrator

Yikes, that seems like a lot to heat one room. Have you considered going to an electric mattress pad? They pull WAY less power than that heater. Then you could put your heater on a timer so it doesn't have to run all night long.

Here is a great example:

ElectricMattressPad

On the highest setting it only uses 43W vs the oil heater that is using 1000W.

If you could just run the oil heater for say 2 hours before you get up, you could save yourself 5.75 kWh per night. For most of us, that is around $0.70 a night. After a year you'd be $255 ahead minus the cost of a mattress pad which is like $50-100.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-13, 10:09 AM   #82
razor02097
Helper EcoRenovator

It isn't so much a cold bed I have trouble getting out of the warm bed lol

I should probably sleep in some heavier pajamas.
razor02097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-13, 10:16 AM   #83
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, that could definitely help. If that doesn't get you all the way there, I would definitely give the timer a shot though. You should be able to REALLY cut down on the power usage with one. They're really cheap too.

&
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
razor02097 (11-06-13)
Old 11-06-13, 10:23 AM   #84
razor02097
Helper EcoRenovator

My house is from the 70's and so is the insulation. Right now I don't have the budget to add insulation so my daily energy consumption is between 20 and 30kwh. I have been doing a few things to reduce that but I have a 13 year old heat pump and 30 year old furnace... I wish I could just park my Jeep in my room at night... 600lb iron block...that sucker will keep you warm for hours!
razor02097 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 08:23 AM   #85
Servicetech
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Weekdays: 70 morning, 60 leave, 68 return, 65 night.
Weekends same but no leave, goes from 70 to 68 @ 9:00am.
Servicetech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 08:56 AM   #86
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Low 60s. Helps with losing weight and really gets my PC to perform great.
Quote:
My house is from the 70's and so is the insulation. Right now I don't have the budget to add insulation so my daily energy consumption is between 20 and 30kwh. I have been doing a few things to reduce that but I have a 13 year old heat pump and 30 year old furnace... I wish I could just park my Jeep in my room at night... 600lb iron block...that sucker will keep you warm for hours!
Duct the air from the garage (or front of the Jeep if you don't have a garage) to the heat pump outdoor unit.
Old 11-09-13, 11:41 AM   #87
Weather Spotter
I mod my world

I have tried 62F for the last month and its a bit cold so I put it up to 64F. With my block house if do temp swings I loose the thermal mass effect

Got my first heating bill this week and had a few questions for people, how does your bill look month to month from Oct- April? I would expect it go up as it gets colder out but by how much? what typical for you?
Weather Spotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-13, 04:04 PM   #88
Daox
Administrator

Check out the link in my sig. It goes over my bills... yeah I really need to update it too haha.

&
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
Weather Spotter (11-09-13)
Old 11-09-13, 04:49 PM   #89
Weather Spotter
I mod my world

you do need to update it..... any progress on the site being able to help log energy usage? should just be a fuel log modified a bit.....
Weather Spotter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-13, 08:37 AM   #90
Daox
Administrator

We have an energy tracker... its um... still in development and has been for quite some time.

http://ecorenovator.org/forum/forum-...our-input.html

&

Tags
house temperature, winter