EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-06-13, 09:13 AM   #1
Minimac
Lurking Renovator

Default Needed: A Solar Primer

I've been lurking and reading all I can here (and a few other places), but am having a hard time making sense of it all. Discussions on calculations on heatloss/gain leave me totally baffled- I just don't get it. I've tried, but I guess I've got a comprehension issue. Is it really necessary to understand the why and wherefores? While I'm a decent builder/fabricator, as soon as the discussion turns to calculations or theory- all I get is gibberish. Looking at a picture or drawing- I can duplicate or modify and build with out a problem.
Does anyone know of a good source where can get the information I need in an EASY (idiot proof) format? My short term interest is some solar panels to supplement my hydronic baseboard heating system and possibly domestic hot water, keeping as much as I can, a D.I.Y. project. Any help or direction is appreciated.

Minimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-13, 03:28 PM   #2
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

BuildItSolar: Solar energy projects for Do It Yourselfers to save money and reduce pollution

This site has a TON of information as well as very many projects to look at. It's full of pictures and explanations, and is (for the most part) easy reading. Pretty much no matter what you are thinking about building, someone has been there before. It has a "Getting Started" sectioin which helps point you in the right direction.

I especially like the "HALF" program section. They even have a no-brainer plan for people who don't like making plans. Best of all, a lot of these projects are easy, cheap, and have super-high paybacks. I am a very hands-on type of person, and don't have lots of money just waiting to be spent. This site is reality based, not all charts and theories, which to me is very reassuring. I can consider projects that I know have worked for others before me.

Welcome and good luck,

Jeff

Last edited by jeff5may; 02-21-13 at 04:23 PM.. Reason: details
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote