EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-30-12, 02:08 PM   #1
Minimac
Lurking Renovator

Default open vs. closed cell insulation

I'm in the midst of a new home build and looking now at insulation. Framing is standard stick build, 2x6. I don't think I can make the exterior walls as tight as I would like with fiberglass. Code requires R-19 walls (minimum) and R 38 ceilings. Meeting code is easy enough, but I'm not pleased with the performance of fiberglass. Is there a way to "tighten" it up? There doesn't seem to be too much difference, cost wise, between closed and open cell sprayed insulation on my exterior walls, but a huge difference in the attic prices. The closed cell attic prices I've gotten are so high, it is cost prohibitive. The open cell attic prices are really high too, but aren't out of the question yet. Is there that much difference between closed cell and open? Are there some other options available that won't break the bank?

Minimac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-12, 06:03 PM   #2
S-F
You Ain't Me

You could flash everything with open cell and then go cellulose.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 05:01 PM   #3
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Have you made your decision and pulled the trigger yet? Kind of curious which insulation you went with. Having had our house foamed when we built it (open cell), I wouldn't do anything else. When we were doing our garage/workshop project, the 2x6 exterior walls were done in closed cell foam. A nice plus for the closed cell is I'm told that it adds structural rigidity. Either way, even with no heat in the building and a leaking homemade set of barn doors, it doesn't freeze even in miserable weather {note that I live in North Alabama while I say this}.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-13, 09:41 PM   #4
Minimac
Lurking Renovator

Haven't pulled the trigger yet, but after getting some estimates, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have the walls open cell foamed(5+"). The attic will get flashed with 1"- 2" open cell, then a whole lot of cellulose, blown in. Hoping to get to approx. R-40+ in the attic for starters. I still have a lot of plumbing and wiring to run first, though. Thanks for sharing your experience!

Minimac is offline   Reply With Quote