EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Heating
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-16-12, 06:23 PM   #21
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Location: Driftless Region, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy,Virgo Supercluster

Just an update: Some finishing trimwork around the foam insulated exhaust pipe.

menaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-12, 10:53 AM   #22
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

You had a relay issue to turn on the blower and i wonder if you resolved it. Many relays can come with 24vac or dc coils or with 120vac coils to switch 120/240vac loads.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-20, 09:35 AM   #23
menaus2
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Location: Driftless Region, North America, Earth, Solar System, Orion Arm, Milky Way Galaxy,Virgo Supercluster

Just an update on the system. It's been operating for 9 years or so without a hitch although there have been some changes made to it years ago. First, I closed off the space between the collector and the roof since pigeons liked roosting up there. Second, instead of heating the apartment, I rerouted the ducts so air is drawn from and dumped in the basement. The apartment was heating up too much, and since the whole house thermostat for the boiler is located in that apartment, it was throwing off the temperature for the other apartments. This way heating is more even and helps prevent pipe freezes down there.

In the next year or two I would like to replace the glazing with twinwall polycarbonate. It will give it better performance in colder weather and a more professional look. The corrugated suntuff glazing has held up great, but with the roofing screws it has a ghetto-steampunk vibe that the building could do without.
menaus2 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to menaus2 For This Useful Post:
solarhotairpanels (12-28-20), WoodBurner (03-10-20)
Old 12-28-20, 07:16 PM   #24
solarhotairpanels
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by menaus2 View Post
Just an update on the system. It's been operating for 9 years or so without a hitch although there have been some changes made to it years ago. First, I closed off the space between the collector and the roof since pigeons liked roosting up there. Second, instead of heating the apartment, I rerouted the ducts so air is drawn from and dumped in the basement. The apartment was heating up too much, and since the whole house thermostat for the boiler is located in that apartment, it was throwing off the temperature for the other apartments. This way heating is more even and helps prevent pipe freezes down there.

In the next year or two I would like to replace the glazing with twinwall polycarbonate. It will give it better performance in colder weather and a more professional look. The corrugated suntuff glazing has held up great, but with the roofing screws it has a ghetto-steampunk vibe that the building could do without.
Do you really think the twin wall poly would help to create more heat?
I didn't think it would make much difference from your original poly?

I agree it will look better (thinking of changing mine as well over to twin wall.) I have 2 hot air collectors in place at my house similar to yours.

Click here https://ecorenovator.org

and I have to tell ya.. when I saw you were sending all that heat into a kitchen first thing that came to mind was overheating the kitchen. but you have everything under control now including the pigeons. Good luck with your projects!

Please Note:
Comments and/or suggestions I make here at the forums on 'your' projects as well as my own have all been carefully and scientifically calculated by 'the seat of my pants'
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
solarhotairpanels is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
air to water, heat exchanger, pvc, solar hot air, water tank