Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 03-18-13, 09:52 PM   #11
greif
a van down by the river

Eternal Hybrid: The world's first and most advanced hybrid water heating system

This is a nice looking unit

“If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom. ” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
greif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-13, 03:38 PM   #12
Daox
Administrator

Have you made any decisions about what you're going to do?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-13, 04:05 PM   #13
greif
a van down by the river

Eternal Hybrid: The world's first and most advanced hybrid water heating system

Leaning towards this, but have not looked into prices. No hurry since old one still works. My wife just ordered new granite countertops so will probably wait a few months, and I want to put in a whole house dehumidifier next month too...... stimulating the economy...... there goes the savings account

“If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom. ” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 04-02-13, 09:11 PM   #14
greif
a van down by the river

Products: Choose the right Eternal Hybrid water heater for endless, instant hot water

Found their retail pricing, not too bad.. more then cheap old water heater but less then boilers ans made of stainless

Old 04-03-13, 07:38 AM   #15
Daox
Administrator

That is quite impressive. I like the smallest one. 94% efficient, pretty low price, excellent modulation range. One could probably use this for space heating (but its probably not meant to be used as such). I wonder how their quality / reliability is?

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 10:46 AM   #16
WisJim
Helper EcoRenovator

I'm considering replacing my LP gas water heater with a Marathon electric since I have surplus electrical production from my PV system. We don't have real net metering here, but they pay us a smaller amount for the energy I produce than I pay them for energy I buy, so if I use my excess electrical production from the PVs and wind generator to replace LP that I buy (at widely varying prices over the years), I think I should come out ahead. First, though, I plan to bypass my LP water heater and use the electric element in the cheap electric water heater that is connected as a preheat tank with a coil in the wood burning furnace, just to see how well it works. If I can heat enough water when it is sunny to carry me through the night and a cloudy day, then it should be worth getting the better insulated lifetime Marathon water heater.
WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 05:41 PM   #17
Mikesolar
Master EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevehull View Post
Gary,

It took about a quart (liter) a minute to kick it on. The problem was, that with that low flow rate, the modulator would kick in and out turning the gas valve off and on. So I simply cut down on the main gas pressure (at the valve by adjusting the diaphragm screw) and that solved the issue.

It was made by Controlled Energy distributed out of Vermont. Some 30 years ago I saw these units in many homes in Italy, Germany, France where they not only supplied hot water for radient heat, but also for hot water for showers, sinks, bath, etc.

A very simple and clever shunt was used so that if water use, by a shower was demanded, the heat flow to the radient heating system was suspended. Because of the large thermal mass of the heating system, no decrease in house temp was noticed over the time of the shower.

Each village had a store where parts were sold and most people didn't even call a repair person. The parts that needed common repair were the thermocouple, and a rebuild kit for the modulator valve (just as I found).

I have a solar hot water drain back system that first heats up a large 120 gallon storage tank. I have a mixing valve on it that lowers the putput temp to 120 F. That output goes through the tankless water heater (propane fired). If the output temp of that is not 120, then the unit fires up.

Even in cloudy cold winter, the storage tank would have some hot water in it - maybe 80 F. Our ground water is about 55 F, so preheating water even to 80 is a huge savings. And in the summer, I would blow out the tankless pilot light as we always had plenty of hot water.

I added in the solar system after I put in the tankless unit. Had I known, I would have bought a less powerful tankless propane unit.

Steve
I think if you look at the unit it is made in Portugal for Bosch. I put a bunch of them in back in the day as well. They were good units, IIRC, but to be solar ready it had to be the pilot model.

Some work better than others with solar.
Mikesolar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 07:47 PM   #18
solar1
Lurking Renovator

Are all your domestic water supply at mains high pressure ? if you reduced it to say 7.6M head , you could install copper , we have ones here that are 40 years plus and still are fine . In NZ is where i am , so maybe thats an option we have here , low , medium or high pressure , with stainless steel high pressure solar tanks readily available. Steel glazed steel tanks are not so popular due to their shortlife span.
solar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-13, 09:11 PM   #19
greif
a van down by the river

In the US city water is usually about 60 psi and in the countryside with your own well about 40 psi

Most water heaters here are steel with a glass lining, but the glass cracks with expansion leading to 6-12 year life...... much to waste full