EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-15, 09:36 AM   #11
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xringer View Post
At least the USA got past the last 10 years without being burned to death..
Yeah, pretty cute.

I checked out your site and saw amongst the cheap sensationalist teasers, the article you mention.

I see that they have quotes from experts:

Quote:
”Clearly, a ‘pause’ or ‘hiatus’ exists in this most pristine climate data,” writes Anthony Watts, a veteran meteorologist and publisher of the science blog Watts Up With That. “In fact, a very slight cooling trend appears.”
It's good to quote people, it seems to add credibility...

Then I looked up "Anthony Watts" in Wikipedia, where you can see that Willard Anthony Watts is a college drop out...

Quote:
Watts assisted with the setup of a radio program for his high school in Indiana, and later attended electrical engineering and meteorology classes at Purdue University, but did not graduate or receive a degree.
So Xringer, it's good to know the kind of people you are getting your misinformation from.

It says a lot about your credibility and gullibility.

Quote:
Gullibility is a failure of social intelligence in which a person is easily tricked or manipulated into an ill-advised course of action. It is closely related to credulity, which is the tendency to believe unlikely propositions that are unsupported by evidence.
I hope you are enjoying your retirement.

Best,

-AC

Old 06-16-15, 10:02 AM   #12
Daox
Administrator

Play nice fellas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-15, 11:51 AM   #13
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Play nice fellas.
Twenty years ago, the percentage of people in the US who thought that the actions of man were having a detrimental effect on the environment, and that actions should be taken, was in the high 60's, low 70's.

Two decades later, after huge and rising amounts of real scientific studies have pointed to the fact that things are not only getting worse and getting worse faster, but we are approaching "tipping points", beyond which it will no longer be possible to reverse trends that will make life on our planet a seriously degraded prospect. The tragic irony is that the percentage of people in the US who believe that action should be taken has fallen to about the 50% level.

This drop in public support did not come from public apathy, or lack of public concern. It came from well-documented, carefully organized and executed public relations campaigns. The origin and support for these campaigns is easily traceable to specific sources whose profits would be diminished by the changes that would be required to reduce global climate change.

In fact, because of the tsunami of disinformation that has swept over not only the US, but also Europe, the published scientific projections are being understated even though the data and computer projections are becoming even more dire.

There is a very well documented book now out called "This Changes Everything: Capitalism vs. the Climate" by Naomi Klein. It can be obtained from any library or book seller you can think of.

It is also freely, and legally available HERE.

If you are not inclined to read, a free and legal audio version is available HERE

I take the 'ECO' part of EcoRenovator very seriously, from its Latin root, oîkos that means house or household. When we talk of Economics, we are using that word, and when we talk of Ecology we are using that word. I think we should all be very aware of not only the money we might save from our improvements, but even more, the lowering of our burden on our ultimate "household".

If someone is using EcoRenovator to distribute disinformation, I think it is a responsibility to call it what it is: Disinformation.

Finally, if anyone thinks that I am taking cheap shots at an old man, please understand that I am older than Xringer, and age is no excuse for ignorance.

Sincerely,

-AC_Hacker
Higgy (06-16-15)
Old 06-16-15, 12:22 PM   #14
Daox
Administrator

There is no problem with people debating with information and data. As long as it doesn't degrade to name calling and personal attacks its fine. If we are to distribute information that corrects the disinformation, doing it in a way that offends others is usually counter productive, even if you are right.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-15, 12:29 PM   #15
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I was wrong..
Washington, D.C. is immersed in a period of record warmth, little relief in sight - The Washington Post

It's hot in D.C. so I guess that story about CO2 lagging temperature was bogus..
https://www.google.com/search?q=CO2+...utf-8&oe=utf-8

Oh well, never mind.. Hey, it's getting warm out.. Gotta turn off the heat!
Old 06-16-15, 04:42 PM   #16
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default New solar array helps the "going green" in NH

Chinese-owned solar farm costs ratepayers $122M

In this case, it looks like the green is going into someone's pocket,
besides the ratepayers..
But, they do get the satisfaction of a slightly smaller carbon footprint..
Old 06-16-15, 05:44 PM   #17
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I have only one question: What the phooey is an OECD country, and what does that have to do with LA abandoning yet another environmental project?

Another idea: Can I buy any second hand panels from Soda Mountain, or are they going to a dump I can pick from?
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-15, 06:14 PM   #18
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
I have only one question: What the phooey is an OECD country?
It basically refers to fully developed European countries, without actually saying, "fully developed European countries."

I don't know about the L.A. part.

-AC
Old 07-01-15, 03:29 PM   #19
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

I did the test mentioned above, but there is no section for my Nissan Leaf EV that I drive with zero emissions, and is recharged from wind and solar only. Even growing my own food, living in a well insulated house, not buying crap, recycling everything, only replacing stuff that breaks, walking a lot, heating in winter with wood, and summer with solar thermal and solar PV, I would still need 2 planets

Last edited by nexsuperne; 07-02-15 at 02:11 AM..
nexsuperne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-15, 11:43 AM   #20
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Default Environmental Burden

Quote:
Originally Posted by nexsuperne View Post
I did the test mentioned above, but there is no section for my Nissan Leaf EV that I drive with zero emissions, and is recharged from wind and solar only. Even growing my own food, living in a well insulated house, not buying crap, recycling everything, only replacing stuff that breaks, walking a lot, heating in winter with wood, and summer with solar thermal and solar PV, I would still need 2 planets
I'd say that you are doing pretty well for an American.

I have a Leaf also and I have it for the same reason as you (it is also a wonderful car to drive!). But if you do an honest assessment, the Leaf, or any car for that matter, exists because of an array of processes that use fossil fuel, and do substantial environmental damage due to resource extraction, refinement, fabrication, transportation. Every bit of metal, plastic and glass that makes up the car represents some amount of environmental damage. Your car, and my car, is the sum total of all those destructive processes.

I did this 'foot print' quiz several years ago, and at the time there were other duffferent tests to determine the same thing. They all were in approximate agreement, but with some it was easier to set all of the indicators to zero and to increase them one at a time.

From doing this, I found that living in the US was the biggest negative as far as ecological burden goes. I suppose that was because of the 'fixed cost' of the federal, state and local governments and all of the various levels of military and paramilitaries, and the whole civic infrastructure. In other words, the environmental cost of maintaining the American empire. If you live here, you have chosen to bear that burden.

Another was sharing domestic resources. The biggest was how many people live in your house, and the individual burden lessens, by sharing the domestic resources burden amongst more people.

Another is transportation to the place of your employment. If you work in the place where you live, that is best. If you must physically travel, it then becomes distance multiplied by the mode of travel. In other words, walking is the best mode, bicycling the the next best, mechanized 'passive' transportation is the worst and shared being less bad, with short-hop private jets being the very peak of environmentally rapacious transportation (this is not counting civilian and military space launches).

At the moment I am writing this, the world population is 7,326,044,500 and climbing. For the earth to sustain this many people, civilization must come to an abrupt end, and all people must live a very simple, subsistence life.

From the perspective of consumption and survival of the planet, almost all of our values are inverted. In other words, people whose lives are conventionally seen as successful, are in fact the ultimate criminals. And the simple lives that get overlooked and pitied because, 'they never amounted to anything' are the heroes because of what they did not do.

Our efforts to be 'better stewards of the earth' are well worth continuing, but our real journey has only begun.

-AC