EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-12, 05:01 PM   #1
greif
a van down by the river

Default convert John Deere Gator to electric

I have a 2001 JD gator 4 x 2 (2 wheel drive). It had an under powered air cooled single cylinder 10hp motor. Plowing snow with it was a little hard on that motor and it would get hot and start to rattle. So I found a good shunt wound motor D & D brand ES-32C-7 elec motor and stripped it down and went about putting it in. Since it is shunt would it has regen. I set it up for 72 volts and have 6 12v batteries and an additonal 12v batt for acesories.

I origanaly had it extra heavy duty cogged belt drive but it has so much torqure I had to switch to chain drive since the belt would jump.
motor specs
48-72VDC
9 HP @ 72V Continuous Rated
60 Ft /Lbs Torque Peak
31 HP Peak with a 500 Amp Controller

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010162.jpg
Views:	5093
Size:	500.7 KB
ID:	2798   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010163.jpg
Views:	7065
Size:	543.1 KB
ID:	2799   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010164.jpg
Views:	4882
Size:	499.0 KB
ID:	2800   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010165.jpg
Views:	4304
Size:	541.9 KB
ID:	2801  

“If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom. ” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
greif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 07:24 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Very nice conversion Gary. Its almost unnoticable without lifting the bed. 500A sure is a large controller. What is the make and model? Thanks for posting!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 01-01-13 at 10:17 AM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-13, 10:08 AM   #3
greif
a van down by the river

hi daox

it's a Navitas TSX500 (made in canada). I was going to go with a 48 volt alltrax but the guy I bought it from (evdrives.com) talked me into this 72 volt model.

it works well now but the documentation that came with it and the help from the company was terrible, they did not even know their own product. after i burned up the first one because they had me wiring it wrong i got an expert involed and it even took him a long time to figure it out and lots of phone calls and he taught the company about their own controller. now it works great,so a big thanks to "Golf Carts Unlimited" in Kaukauna, WI

I bought the motor and controller from evdrive.com which has great prices but no tech support so buyer beware.

I need to write this conversion up as I told Gary at build it solar I would do this a while ago for the site...... I get too many projects going and put other things off

gary

“If you want total security, go to prison. There you're fed, clothed, given medical care and so on. The only thing lacking... is freedom. ” ― Dwight D. Eisenhower
Old 01-31-13, 01:18 PM   #4
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

wow. nice job. i have an old massey 30 i'd like to convert.

I look forward to your posting more details ... no pressure
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-13, 07:47 PM   #5
greif
a van down by the river

We just had 6in of snow yesterday and it was semi fluffy so pushed like nothing even there. Back before Christmas we had 9 in very wet and heavy and even then it pushed very well. All that lead for weight sure does help with traction.

What model Massey do you have? Do you have a frame or is the engine an intergeral part? That how my dad's Massey 135 is.

Gary

Old 02-01-13, 08:44 AM   #6
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

This is the Massey 30. It came with the property I bought. Took me a day and some swearing to pull it out of the forest. Basically it was sunk up to the rear axle.

The motor can probably be rehabbed. But so much work for no real gain. I can sell the rear wheels for more than the tractor is worth. Still, an ideal electric conversion.

It's a long term project. (Like I don't have enough of those).
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-13, 02:05 PM   #7
greif
a van down by the river

Gary's 2001 John Deere Gator 4 x 2

Here is gator on evalbum

The Following User Says Thank You to greif For This Useful Post:
Ryland (03-25-13)
Old 04-02-13, 03:46 PM   #8
Daox
Administrator

I gotta say I really like the electric gator. Nice job on the conversion, nice and clean. I bet it works like a charm plowing.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 12:44 PM   #9
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I like it! It almost makes me want to be there so I can play in the snow too!

Let's see now, the new to-do list, (1) seat belts, (2) windscreen and mirrors, (3) turn signals and (4) register as an NEV.
gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-13, 05:18 PM   #10
greif
a van down by the river

You are welcome to all the snow you would like.... I hate winter

No Nev, I live out in the country so can't drive them out here. The guy I had help with the controller sells them. Them city he lives in allows them

We have 10 acres so it does get lots of use

All though I think I will mold a new windshield, the stock one is very short... so the cold wind snow in the face sucks