EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-11, 09:56 PM   #1
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default the Power Shed

Well, I blame Xringer for this. I have a bunch of solar panels (6 @ 250 mono), a few batteries (6 L16s, total of 1185 amp hrs at 12 volts), a controller (Morningstar TS-60), an inverter (Ramsond 3000 pure sine), some fuses, a combiner box (midnight solar), odds and sods, and a bunch of wire. Six gauge, one gauge ...

I was going to build a small shed to hold the batteries/controller/inverter next to a sturdy iron pole embedded in concrete, slap the panels onto a store bought solar tracker and call it an offgrid solar system. But oh no, Xringer had to post a video of a Power Shed. Why just click a button and it floats down from the sky and voila, solar power.

So I, foolish mortal that I am, said, I can build that. It'll be easy.
Here's how easy it's been so far:

(PS-whenever you read "Power Shed," hear a booming voice with thunderous drums in the background).

Step one:
Pick up a bunch of pressure treated lumber and play with the nail gun.

This is my power shed base.

Step two:
Get out the "genius 8" and clear the field where the shed will go.

This is my McCormick genius 8 plow (circa 1937). Came with the property. It's a two furrow plow, just the right size for clearing the topsoil from my power shed site.

Then take the auger and aug out some holes. This is my "best friend" when it comes to lending a hand, the tractor. Note the handy auger attachment, ideal for power shed piers.

And, see how easy, the site is ready.

Step three:
Insulate the base with foam board and sheath the floor. Then frame 'er up.

So, toss a few 10 to 14 foot 4x4s into the ground. Square them up. Whack some 2x4s into a wall like shape. Trim, jiggle and shake the lumber until it fits pretty good. Use the tractor to tug the stubborn bits. The frames up.

Step four: Slap on some siding.

Here the siding holds the frame square. Wait, I used local true 4x4 white cedar posts and guess what, they ain't close to straight. Oh well, the base is square.

Step five:
Place the rafters, sheath the roof, and put on the water and ice shield.

And here she is. Wrap quickly as it's about to rain. Oh wait, it rains for the next two weeks. Luckily I don't know this yet.

Oh, and don't forget to mention the hired hand. Well, my dad, Jim, passed up some tools and a few boards anyway.

That's all I have pictures for so far. I've got the metal roof on, some flashing has been done, the hinges for the panel rack went up today, but will have to take more pictures and post them anon.

Last edited by creeky; 11-20-11 at 01:18 PM.. Reason: math correction on amp hours
creeky is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to creeky For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-03-11), GoFish_Tony (11-04-11), Piwoslaw (11-03-11)
Old 11-03-11, 08:45 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Wow, thats quite the bit of work. Very nice.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-11, 07:26 PM   #3
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Here are a few more pics to show my progress. I almost got the solar panel rack up today. I was just 12 3/8" galvanized bolts short of finishing the rack mounting system.

First off, I had some visitors drop by

that's a flock of turkeys ... sawing, hammering, doesn't bother them.

Got the door installed, I believe if you go look at S-Fs post on his basement reno you'll find my moaning about my door install. Note to self: ignore written instructions.

and, ta da, the hinges are on for the panel rack

I'm using dock hinges. This way I should be able to set the panels flat or parallel to the ground during strong wind storms; at 30 degrees for the summer; 45 degrees for fall and spring; and 60 degrees* for the winter.

(A neighbor has a professional system and I want to check his winter angle, the guy who did his system (Isolara?) is one smart guy, so ...)

Maybe next year I'll dream up a way to put in some kind of elementary sun tracking.
Old 11-06-11, 08:04 AM   #4
benpope
Helper EcoRenovator

This is what I hear:

S-S-Sunday Sunday Sunday! M-M-M-Monster Truck Madness with The P-P-P-Power Shed of Power!

Cool project - can't wait to see how it turns out.

Last edited by benpope; 11-06-11 at 12:53 PM.. Reason: Context
benpope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-11, 11:30 AM   #5
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default 1500 watts!!

That's going to be one Powerful Power Shed!!

I can't wait to see the finished product!!

The angle is pretty easy to get set up. Just don't build the angle adjustments
ahead of time, like I did with my fixed mount! (Too many un-needed positions).

At about 10 or 11 AM, (or 1300 to 1400 PM), place an 'L' corner (or 'T' square)
on the side of a panel, and look at the shadow falling on the panel.
If it's falling near 90 degs across the panel, that's it! (Well close).

Oxford Station?? in the UK??

Use this... UO SRML: Sun chart program

to make one of these.. (This one is mine, don't use it)!

45 degs was a good starting position for me..

Last edited by Xringer; 11-06-11 at 01:45 PM.. Reason: Adding picture..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-11, 07:53 PM   #6
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Thanks Ben, needed a good larf! Watch out for a Power Shed rally near you!

Xringer I'm not really sure how I'm going to hold the panels on angle. I dropped by Hugh's and he's letting me measure the angles he sets his array with.

So did a little more work today. Finished bolting together the solar rack (with yet another trip to the hardware store ... don't ask) and, with my trusty buddy, heaved 'er up onto the shed.

Sometimes the first attempt works and sometimes it doesn't. This time it did. I wrapped some rope around the rack tying it into the bucket and forks and it lifted right up into place. Even got it even enough to fit the brackets. Cool.

Then, full of confidence, I built a quick and dirty panel holder and put the first panel into place.

Did I mention that sometimes things don't work the first time. Well, this time it was the second. The second panel. Had it up against the rack almost ready to bolt in when a fierce gust of wind ... let's just say I almost ate a 44 lb panel. I'll put the second panel up tomorrow when the wind is lighter. And that quick and dirty panel holder will get a little modification.

I did find out that those panels are monster truck tough though!

With nothing doing with the wind I put in some insulation and vapour barrier. So I'm ready now to put the "guts" of the system in.

For anyone who's interested. I foamed the joints between the sheathing and the studs (2x4) then insulated with roxul (rock wool) insulation. The roxul is apparently more "critter" proof.

Then I wrapped with a vapour barrier. The blue insulation leaning against the wall will become the "box" that holds the batteries. This way I'll get a little extra insulation protecting the batteries.

Well. Thanks for your interest
The Following User Says Thank You to creeky For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-07-11)
Old 11-08-11, 04:20 PM   #7
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Well, no wind this morning, so panel two goes up. John L came by, he's a "rocket scientist" and he gave me some advice on wiring the system up. The plan is to wire up the first two panels. Once they're up and running I'll add two more. Then, probably in the spring, I'll add the next two. And so on and so on ...

The next two panels attach to the top of the rack. They'll be much easier to add as I'll be able to position the rack flat, place the panels on top and then bolt together. After some consideration I'm thinking of adding some wood strips to support some of the panel weight so that the bolts really only hold the panels to the struts.

Well. That's it for today.
Old 11-08-11, 05:54 PM   #8
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Are those dock hinges rated for the weight of your whole array?

I've got 4 of my 200w panels on some homemade hinges, that are making me keep my fingers crossed!

Anyways, when I think about a solar shed in my backyard,
I would figure in the total weight of the array, to make sure it wasn't
too much of a pain to adjust the angle..

These 10 panels likely weigh to much to put on one roof frame.

This kinda looks like your type of setup.. Just twice as tall..

I wonder if Super-Strut could be used to make something like this??

Might not be any fun adjusting these by yourself.. Need to put a jack up them..
Old 11-10-11, 08:42 AM   #9
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Those are some nice power sheds. Because my panel frame is hinged (hinges are steel, the pins are 3/4 of an inch thick ... should be good to about 5,000 lbs each) and, as the pivot point is on center (with a slight bias to the ground), the panels rotate quite easily.

I saw your hinges Xringer. Are those stainless steel bolts on a single arm pivot? smile. Of course your hinges didn't cost 35 bucks each.

I like the design on powershed #2 that you posted. I'm looking for four positions. Windstorm (flat or parallel to the ground); Summer (30 degrees from parallel); Fall/Spring (45) and Winter (60 or tbd). So I'm trying to come up with something that looks good and works easily.

Still open to ideas. I'm thinking to attach to the lower wooden support strut with a small hinge and then use a wooden arm back to a peg in the side of the shed. Two supports on either side of the shed should do it. That way I can drill holes into the support arm for the various distances required for the appropriate angle. I might need two peg locations and two holes ... Or four peg locations and one hole in the support arm. or ... hmmm.
Old 11-10-11, 09:17 AM   #10
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

IMHO, Powershed #2 (above) needs a lot of batteries as ballast!!
That array looks like a sail to me!!

You've got the right hinges there! I should have made mine better.
Those are like toys, compared to yours. I'm not sure on the bolts,
they were in the bolt box on my work bench. They seemed to be good quality.
(I checked the markings, they are SAE Grade 5)..

I think you're on the right track with the angle setup. Keep posting pics!

Last edited by Xringer; 11-10-11 at 09:40 AM..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote