EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-08-22, 03:28 PM   #1
jeff88
Lots of questions

Default Weed Spray

I started my backyard last year, but over the winter the weeds took a liking to the yard. The dog loves them, the kid not so much. I put weed cloth down under the swings with some rubber bark, but the weeds ate right through it.

I've used "eco-friendly" sprays, DIY mixes with household supplies, but nothing seems to have worked yet.

Is there a kid/pet friendly spray I can use to kill/detract the weeds? I don't want to use any roundup-style sprays.

jeff88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-22, 04:38 PM   #2
dguzzi
Helper EcoRenovator

I use vinegar, its cheap enough to use often. Even use it hot, like after cleaning the coffee maker. Kids might not like the scent ?
dguzzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-22, 07:43 AM   #3
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

For places you want things to grow in again, a gallon of cooking/canning vinegar plus a tablespoon of soap (dish soap, laundry soap) does the "kill once" thing okay. Using concentrated vinegar works better, but wear gloves and appropriate PPE! Concentrated vinegar can burn skin and cause blindness.

For the places where you don't want things growing again, use the same formula plus salt ( rock salt, kosher salt, table salt, Epsom salt). Don't use "lawn safe ice melter". As much salt as you can dissolve in the vinegar. If it's hot, it's possible to dissolve 2 cups or more per gallon. After the initial kill off, just sprinkle salt to keep the vegetation from coming back.

With both of these recipes, multiple light applications beat few heavy applications. Beware that salt is water soluble and will travel with the watershed when it rains.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jeff5may For This Useful Post:
Daox (04-13-22)
Old 04-13-22, 09:57 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Thanks for the update Jeff. I have a few places where this info will come in handy!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote