EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-18-12, 01:51 PM   #1
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Covers for recessed light's

I need to cover my "can" lights in attic so I can cover them with insulation. They are non-IC rated, any suggestions or ideas ?

eco dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 03:54 PM   #2
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

Build a plasterboard box around them, leaving 4 inches from the sides for airflow. This will then be fireproof and fine to insulate over.
nexsuperne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 06:19 PM   #3
S-F
You Ain't Me

There's already a thread about this somewhere. Honestly, if you're any good with electricity just replace the cans with AT IC ones for $15 a piece and cover them with 1 part foam. The alternative sucks. You need to make boxes to surround them and then try to make them air tight in a way which will last for years. I do this ALL the time and I have yet to find a solution which I think is durable and lasting. That is with the exception of replacing the cans with ones meant to be in an attic.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Chipping away on a daily basis.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."
S-F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-12, 06:33 PM   #4
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

Yah, I'm OK with electricity and I think'n about replacing, but I have a very high ceilings, (like ~15ft.) so getting up there would be a nightmare that's why I was looking at doing something from the attic.

I found these covers:
FF130E Recessed Light Cover
http://www.amazon.com/Owens-Corning-.../dp/B004C1FLXY

then I would cover these with blown-in insulation...how does that sound?

p.s.s.s. - I like yer signature, and yes that's what I want to do is "super insulate" to like R-60+
Old 06-18-12, 06:53 PM   #5
S-F
You Ain't Me

You replace the cans from the attic any way.

If you really want and have the time to make covers skip those things. If you cant find the thread where I explained (in detail) how to do it, I will write it up again. Maybe I'll make a thread about common weatherization projects to reference to.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Quote:
You know you're an ecorenovator if anything worth insulating is worth superinsulating.
Quote:
S-F: "What happens when you slam the door on a really tight house? Do the basement windows blow out?"

Green Building Guru: "You can't slam the door on a really tight house. You have to work to pull it shut."

Last edited by S-F; 06-18-12 at 06:57 PM..
Old 06-18-12, 07:07 PM   #6
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

I tried searchn and couldnt find the thread, anyway the covers sounded easier since I got about 20 of these things.

anyway, i thought the cans have that trim on the ceiling, so can i remove/replace that from the attic too?
Old 06-18-12, 07:19 PM   #7
S-F
You Ain't Me

The trim pops off from the conditioned space. It really just pops off. Sounds like you'll need a ladder for 20 minutes or so. The rest is done from the attic.

P.S. Air sealing non AT IC rated cans sucks. Good luck if you go that route. I have absolutely no faith in the effectiveness or longevity of the given techniques. But it probably can be done. It just won't last for too long. If you value your time at more than minimum wage and can do the wiring yourself it's not cost effective to build those stupid boxes.

Quote:
Quote:

Last edited by S-F; 06-18-12 at 07:25 PM..
Old 06-18-12, 08:55 PM   #8
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

yah, I know they just pop off and will only take a few minutes, but it's actually getting up there so I can reach it. Ok, so I just measured my ceiling, 19'...wow!

Should I go with air tight as well?
Old 06-19-12, 12:19 AM   #9
nexsuperne
Helper EcoRenovator

19' ceiling? Wow, how much heat is way up there being no use to you at all? Could have put in a mezzanine floor and doubled the living space, whilst only heating rooms with 9' ceilings
nexsuperne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-12, 12:29 AM   #10
eco dude
Helper EcoRenovator

Yah, it's a nightmare...and since I'm in Sacramento I'm trying to seal/insulate above it. I thought about putting in ceiling fan, but I dunno how I'd ever git up there to work on it, scaffolding I guess.