EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-15, 07:56 PM   #21
mechanic
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Well it's been heating season for awhile now, everything is the same, except my water is warm... Could my run times in cooling season just be way too short?

mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-15, 08:10 PM   #22
mechanic
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Here is my runtime graph
Old 11-04-15, 01:08 PM   #23
superlen
Helper EcoRenovator

Mechanic,

Did you ever confirm if the circulator moving water through the desuperheater coil is moving water? If not, here is an idea to try that doesn't require cutting into your lines. I saw you reference the pex lines, so I'm assuming that the circulator plumbing somewhere is a pex line that you can "squeeze" thereby causing a restriction.

Assuming that the pump is working properly and is indeed moving water, if you monitor the amps driving your pump, you should see it go down when you constrict that pex line. When you stop water from flowing with your pinch point the amount of work being performed by the pump should go down, hence the amps will be lower. If you pinch/unpinch and you don't see your circulator pumps amp change whatsoever, that would be a good indicator that there is another restriction somewhere and the pump isn't doing anything to start with. A simple clamp on meter and a pair of vice grips with some duct tape to protect the pex line from the jaws is all you would need.

I agree with the others and I believe that in cooling mode your desuperheater should work well. The symptoms you described earlier are consistent with either the pump not on or it is on, yet a restriction is not allowing the water to flow in that circuit.

Len
superlen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-15, 07:46 PM   #24
mechanic
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I checked it again today, pump was hot and there is power too it just like in cooling mode except the lines are hot as well. I tried to amp check it but my meter isn't precise enough (pump is only rated at .46 amps). I closed the isolation valves and still never got an amp reading. I disconnected the water lines and held my fingers over the connections to hold the water in and turned the thermostat on, pump cut in and I could feel the pressure right away, removed my fingers and it pumped all the water out into a bucket. Reconnected the lines and turned the unit on again, bunch of bubbles went cruising by and within 30 sec the outgoing line was much warmer... So even if it's running very short cycles in cooling mode a guy should be able to feel the difference in the lines, especially with very cold water, right now it's heating already warm water and you can feel a lot of difference...
Old 11-05-15, 08:33 PM   #25
superlen
Helper EcoRenovator

Well, you at least know the pump is working and trying to circulate water. You need to ensure that all the air is out of the loop so that the pump doesn't hit an air bubble and stop pumping.

superlen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to superlen For This Useful Post:
Daox (11-06-15)