EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 12-30-10, 08:03 AM   #11
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Yes, more pictures and details! This looks like good stuff to me. Thanks for sharing.

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-10, 11:45 PM   #12
osolemio
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
That sounds like a great setup Osolemio. Do you have any pictures of your chrome pipe setup? I'd like to see it. I really like the idea of the tempostop valves where you can get hot and cold water with one foot pedal.

Also, what heat recovery system are you using?

I don't think I took any pictures yet. Until then, I can explain about it. A downstairs bathroom, although one without bath (just toilet and sink) was used for just that, and I thought it was a bit waste of space.

This secondary place is a place we only use if the main one upstairs is in use. So me made it very small, and used the excess space to expand the wardrobe area, which in this kind of house is way too small already.

So this toilet room is only about 4 x 4 feet, the toilet itself being at an 45 degree angle from one of the corners. In the other corner is a sink, and it is a corner mounted quite small sink. I will make pictures of all of this later, including the foot pedal setup.

I am using a 4 1/2 foot unit from Renewability.com for waste water recovery. See some useful links here: Links
Old 01-03-11, 05:48 AM   #13
osolemio
Hong Kong

Taken in low light with a phone, so it does not look shiny and bright like in a sales catalogue:

But it shows the principle.

This is the setup with a sink and just "warm" water. The toilet here, and this sink, are both connected to the pre-heated water, so there is neither cold nor hot in this bathroom. Or should I say toilet, as there are no shower/bath either.

If you consider to set up a solution with two temperatures, then I can recommend to have two pedals, with each their pipe running as closely as possibly to the faucet. This is useful when you want a specific temperature. As the mixing is close to the faucet, the changes will be quick. In the other installation I have, with one pedal, I can get either hot or cold - yes, with just one pedal. It does take a few seconds to change the temperature, not a big issue. But it would be even better to be able to change temperature almost instantly, by changing the foot pressures.

Actually, I would like to have the same solution for the shower hose, but not sure how to implement it. Imagine two hoses in parallel, and when you change the temperature on the wall unit, the reaction is almost instant. I think that besides being better comfort, it will also save water, as you will spend less water (and time) waiting for the temperature to get right. No need to have the valve close to the shower head, as long as there are two hoses.
Old 01-03-11, 06:19 AM   #14
Daox
Administrator

Looks nice to me.

Didn't you mention a foot pedal valve that mixes water based on pedal position?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-11, 07:48 AM   #15
osolemio
Hong Kong

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
Looks nice to me.

Didn't you mention a foot pedal valve that mixes water based on pedal position?
Yes, that type is used in the utility room sink installation (not pictured here).

It works OK, but I would still have wanted two pedals, one for hot and one for cold. Right next to each other, so you could press both, even with one foot.

The pedals look almost the same. I think it is the same housing, if single-stream, one of three ports is blocked. For the dual-stream, there are two input and one output.
Old 01-03-11, 07:58 AM   #16
osolemio
Hong Kong

DELABIE - Product :MIXFOOT Pedal operated mixer

I am not really sure where it is produced, but it seems "tempostop" "foot mixer" and "foot pedal" are some words one can search for.
Old 01-03-11, 08:02 AM   #17
osolemio
Hong Kong

Ah, "mixfoot" is the one with two streams in (usually hot and cold) where "monofoot":

DELABIE - Product :MONOFOOT

... is only one stream in. The price is almost the same, around 250 USD from where I got it from. But as you can see in the picture, those 250 USD should be offset by no need for a faucet. Just a few pipes and joints. Or how you choose to make it, as you can be quite creative using hoses, tubes, pipes ... to get the water from the valve to somewhere above your sink.

Last edited by osolemio; 01-03-11 at 08:04 AM..
osolemio is offline   Reply With Quote