Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-25-18, 11:50 PM   #1
nzmikec
Lurking Renovator

Default Excess solar power to run compressor

Hi All,

Anyone know of a method of controlling an AC compressor to utilise excess solar power? I essentially want to control the compressor using a VFD or other form of speed controller but im not sure what types of compressors are available that can be controlled in this fashion.
What I would ideally want to do is purchase an external unit from a heat pump / split air conditioner (common in NZ) and convert it. Many of these units are "inverters" and control the compressor speed and output based on the temperature of a room. Does anyone know if the singling to the controls of such a unit can be intercepted and controlled say by a 0-10v or frequency input.
I would also like to replace the inside unit of such a setup with a refrigerant / water exchanger to use output to heat our under floor heating system.
Im new to refrigeration so am not sure on the specifics of this kind of system but I do have a grasp of PLC and Arduino control from previous projects.

I would have thought that systems on the market should have this function but im unable to find any examples of this. It would seem as tho a heat pump domestic Hot Water heater would also be a good application for this type of control.

Thanks for reading. Any input is greatly appreciated.

MikeC

nzmikec is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
arduino, controller, solar, vfd