EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 01-27-09, 02:54 PM   #61
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

I'm pretty sure the specs of this inverter include a high V shutoff. It definitely has a low V off.

Where might I source an appropriate capacitor that's in keeping with the budget of this project?

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 03:11 PM   #62
Daox
Administrator

If you'd be interested in paying shipping, I have some fairly large sized ones. I have no idea of their specs, but they are about 1-2" in diameter by 1-2" long.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-09, 03:14 PM   #63
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Thanks, but thinking about it just now: a simpler solution would be a smaller 12v battery. Less capacity, less resistance...

Old 01-28-09, 07:08 AM   #64
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroMPG View Post
I'm pretty sure the specs of this inverter include a high V shutoff. It definitely has a low V off.

Where might I source an appropriate capacitor that's in keeping with the budget of this project?
If you ever want to try a capacitor, a good 2nd hand source for bigger caps would be from large linear DC power supplies. When I was an electronic maint tech at a factory, I replaced alote of these filter caps from power supplies in the old numerically controlled machines. Big old computerized things may have this type of set-up too. Maybe there is an old factory with some old junk machines?

Did your forklift still have the motor drive(s)? Sometimes they have big filter caps on them.

If you have a friend who is into loud car stereos, they may have a large cap you could borrow. They sometimes use .5-1F caps to stiffen the power going to a large amplifier. That is a huge capacitor .

good luck, have fun!
jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-09, 08:25 PM   #65
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Default Link love

"Wend blog" picked up the bike gen!

Wend BlogBlog Archive How to Make a Pedal-Powered Generator

Old 02-08-09, 12:32 AM   #66
NiHaoMike
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwxr7 View Post
If you have a friend who is into loud car stereos, they may have a large cap you could borrow. They sometimes use .5-1F caps to stiffen the power going to a large amplifier. That is a huge capacitor .
2.2F capacitors for car A/V regularly go for $20 at Fry's.
Old 02-11-09, 12:59 PM   #67
JoeTheJuggler
Lurking Renovator

Do you mean to use the capacitor instead of the battery or in line with the battery?

As for efficiency, here's what I keep imagining: a "spinning class" gym where all the machines are chained up to drive a great big flywheel. The flywheel is used to run the mechanical part of washers and dryers. You charge the people for their workout and at least something for using the laundromat. They get the satisfaction of knowing they're being "green".

I say as long as obesity is so prevalent, there can be no energy crisis!

ETA: BTW, thanks for this Metro. I'm about to start building something like this for home use. I joggle (jogging while juggling 3 clubs)--recently did a half-marathon and hope to do a full marathon soon, but the weather has really been interfering with getting in a good run as often as I'd like.
JoeTheJuggler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-09, 01:38 PM   #68
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

I'd consider using a cap if I was just going to output the power directly to the inverter to run a radio or the laptop while I rode the bike. It seems the inverter needs a steadier voltage than I'm able to deliver when it's drawing more than half an amp.

FYI, I've pretty much worn out the sidewall of the old tire on the bike.

The plastic hub on the motor itself is wearing down too.

I need to flip the tire around to get another couple of weeks out of it. By then (hopefully) the outside conditions should be less cold & icy so I can do my bike riding outside.

Version 2 of this needs to be chain or belt driven, or at least run off the main tread area of the tire (a slick would be better than knobbies)

Old 03-03-09, 07:15 PM   #69
gascort
Helper EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeTheJuggler View Post
I joggle (jogging while juggling 3 clubs)--recently did a half-marathon and hope to do a full marathon soon, but the weather has really been interfering with getting in a good run as often as I'd like.
That is amazing, and awesome. Are you unique in this, or are there others who joggle?
gascort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-09, 07:51 PM   #70
JoeTheJuggler
Lurking Renovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gascort View Post
That is amazing, and awesome. Are you unique in this, or are there others who joggle?
Thanks. Definitely not unique. There've been some jogglers who posted really good marathon times. (As far as I know, though, I'm the only one using clubs instead of balls or bean bags, and that's just because I find clubs easier not to drop.)

JoeTheJuggler is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, generator, pedal