EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-11, 02:05 AM   #1
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Default chest freezer energy usage

Has anyone done measurements on their chest freezers? I have a medium sized one that is quite old. Lately it's been feeling hot on the outside near the compressor so I hooked up the Kilawatt to see whats going on. So far it's used .7 kwh in 15 hours. I'll let it run for a week at least to see what it averages out to but that seems pretty high in my mind. Does anyone else have readings I can compare to?

strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-11, 07:48 AM   #2
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

Refrigerators & Freezers Results : ENERGY STAR

You can see what a brand new energy star rated chest freezer uses, 408kwh per year is not great if it was brand new, it's costing you about $50 per year to run, but if it's older then it's most likely not using much more then it was designed to use.
To get it to use less you can defrost the inside and you can vacuum out the compressor area, also make sure nothing is pressed up to the outside as that is often where the outside coils are and you need air flow.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryland For This Useful Post:
strider3700 (10-03-11)
Old 10-03-11, 12:55 PM   #3
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

it looks like I'm using about 1.4kwh/day so far. looking at that table I can save roughly $1/month by buying a new freezer. That's a long long pay back period...
Old 10-03-11, 01:03 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

I did some testing a while ago with my chest freezer. Its also medium sized (I think). With a little tweaking I was able to get it down to around 1kWh per day from 1.2 kWh/day. I was going to do a few more things with it, but we found out that it really wasn't necessary for us and ended up giving it away.

Freezer Efficiency Series

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Daox; 10-03-11 at 01:06 PM..
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-11, 02:41 PM   #5
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

I got out a tape measure and figure that the freezer is roughly 18.6 cubic feet

The US energy star ones roughly the same size are 400- 435 kwh/year

After two days running I'm at 3.02 kwh used or 551 kwh/year which costs me $44/year

taking a real quick look at sears.ca and the canadian energy star page which has different models then the US. I find a few options for replacement

KenmoreŽ/MD 14.8 cu. ft. Chest Freezer - Sears | Sears Canada 14.8 cf uses 357 kwh/year and costs $550. It would save me $15.50/year giving me a 35 year payback assuming no increase in electric and I ignore taxes on the freezer.

frigidaire makes Capacity 11 - 20 | Chest | Freezers | Fridges & freezers | Appliances | Sears Canada same size but using 397 kwh/year and costing $580
this gives me a payback of 47 years.
Interestingly it's not energy star qualified according to sears but it's on the energy star list.

I see that I can go to a "full size" 24 cf freezer and use the same amount of power as my little one.

Doing all of this research says I shouldn't bother replacing this freezer until it dies or I decide it's not able to do what I need. The replacement will never last long enough to pay for its self in energy savings unless power bills go way way up.

I've looked this freezer over before and I can not find a thermostat setting anywhere on it. maybe I'll have to pull the thing out and look in by the compressor. Good time to clean it up while I'm at it.
Old 10-04-11, 03:17 PM   #6
Daox
Administrator

Nice quicky analysis.

Any chance of slapping some additional insulation on the freezer?

&
Old 10-04-11, 03:29 PM   #7
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

it doesn't have external coils so insulating would only make things worse. The thing that got me started looking at it's power usage was it had a pillow sitting beside it and the case right where the pillow touched was much hotter then I expected.
Old 10-06-11, 02:45 PM   #8
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, you probably know this, but I believe its recommended to have a 3" or so gap around refrigeration appliances to allow for air movement. At least the manual says to leave 3-4" in back of my fridge.

&