EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-09, 10:34 AM   #1
SVOboy
Administrator

Default How to keep house plants alive

Found this one lifehacker, thought it might be interesting to others who like to keep the house full of plants for greenery and clean air and whatnot: Plants: Keep a House Plant Alive

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SVOboy For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-09, 11:16 AM   #2
Higgy
The Gardener

My first reply to your subject was going to be "Water them"...but I see where you're going now.

I'm not sure if it says anything in this post as I haven't read it all yet, but be wary of how many plants you keep in your bedroom. House plants may suck in CO2 and blow out Oxygen during the day, but at night some of them actually breath in the Oxygen, taking away from the Oxygen you are needing to have a good night sleep.

Thanks for the post SVO...I'm going to check it out during lunch.

Last edited by Higgy; 03-10-09 at 01:33 PM..
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 11:48 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy View Post
House plants may suck in CO2 and blow out Oxygen during the day, but at night some of them actually breath in the Oxygen, taking away from the Oxygen you are needing to have a good night sleep.
What? I've never heard that. Are you goin crazy again Hig?
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-09, 01:12 PM   #4
Higgy
The Gardener

Allow me to clarify. The amount released by a plant at night is not going to kill you. Not even close. I'm just saying, if you want a restful sleep, it's best to get as much oxygen into your body as possible, anything that deters that will probably make your sleep slightly less so (which is why I'm thinking of making my wife sleep in another room... )

Here's an article that I found on the subject.
Feng Shui Use of Plants in the Bedroom - Good or Bad Feng Shui?
Old 03-10-09, 04:01 PM   #5
SVOboy
Administrator

Wow, that's interesting stuff, I'll have to keep that in mind for when I actually find a place to live long enough to have a plant.
SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-09, 09:54 AM   #6
Higgy
The Gardener

LOL

I liked that article you posted though. I was able to read through most of it. I'm thinking of adding some more plants to the house and I like the ones that give off more oxygen. The only thing I've heard before I read your article is, the bigger the leaf the better. Or many small leaves. Those are better for oxygen and cleaning the air.
Old 10-13-11, 01:24 AM   #7
stuartrivchun
Lurking Renovator

Default How to keep house plants alive

I liked your article.
stuartrivchun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-11, 03:56 AM   #8
goodsgardensheds

Thumbs up

Hi,
As we know, indoor plants especially through the colder months need very little water. I water mine about twice a month maximum. If you have just recently started taking them outside this could be to blame as well. House plants abruptly moved outdoors will shed their leaves. This is due to a drastic change in environment. To ease the transition and lessen the shock to the plants, I start by opening the windows for a week or so in the room where I have them and then go to an increasing amount of time outside. Otherwise, just expect they will look crappy for a little while due to the shock but will not die. I have also found that many plants like smaller pots. I too made the mistake of putting mine in bigger pots. Where you have them, leave them but double check prior to transplanting about whether they like big or small pots. Hope some of this helps.

Best regards,
Dabney Walker
Old 11-20-11, 02:27 PM   #9
creeky
Journeyman EcoRenovator

I'd like to put in a recommendation for Spider plants.

Chlorophytum comosum - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They've been shown to greatly reduce indoor air pollution. Apparently a large plant can transpire all the air in your room 10 times in one day. Which seems like a heck of a lot to me, but who am I to argue with science.

Top Houseplants for Improving Indoor Air Quality

Has an interesting article on a NASA sponsored study that lists many houseplants that are useful for improving indoor air quality. They recommend having 15 plants for a 2000 sq ft home.

Philodendrons, peace lily, bamboo palm, English ivy, mums, and gerbera daisies join spider plants as being useful. Take note that some of these plants can have a negative effect on small children or pets if eaten.

For bringing outdoor plants indoors. Man, do I have to. I always seem to bring in a host of bugs along with my plants. So when I first bring them in, I spray with a soap and water solution after a thorough shake and then usually water with a very mild soap and water solution for the first watering. Not sure if it's good for the micro-organisms in the soil, but it seems to keep the small flies down.

creeky is offline   Reply With Quote