EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Off Topic > The Billiards Room
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-03-11, 03:46 PM   #1
Big Al
Big Al

Default Apologies Daox, A.C.,and Sringer

Daox, A.C. Hacker, Sringer.Apologies for going off topic-you were quite right to call me to order.

I would say however it does n't always pay to get too serious. The UK site I use most (homeworkshop.org ) has a very friendly and light -hearted approach and is often unofficially rated "the best in the UK" and the excellent Ozzie alternative energy forum ( "The Backshed " ) has it seems to me a similar approach . The Homeworkshop's main competitor run by Model Engineer and ME Workshop has a far more serious approach (I find) and members are perpetually falling out , criticising each other , practising one- up- manship.etc. Its still an excellent site however with many v.helpful, good spirited members.

I may seem to have a light-hearted approach to eco and energy , but then I remember its not long ago that several serious and real scientists (back a decade or so most of them [I]were[I] real , and understood statistics ) wrote jointly to the US President at the time about the global temperature problem Global Cooling . I am a great believer in science solving these problems , when they get really threatening. I believe that Nuclear Fusion energy is not that far away .and could be here tomorrow if there was a real problem.In my opinion it will almost certainly be here long, long before we even start to seriously deplete the oil shale reserves , which I think I'm right in saying well exceed oil reserves.
Meanwhile the peudoscientists have us erecting windmills all over Scotland's beautiful countryside , at vast cost (the subsidy comes from everyone's power bills and enables the wind vested interests to claim wind-power is cheaper) and very little effect. Personally I don't think they look too bad , but only in moderation. Not so long ago Scotland erected hordes of residential tower blocks , particularly in Glasgow, (I think Glasgow had 700, yes 700 blocks , which have resulted indirectly in decades of residential misery and are now being demolished as a ghastly mistake. Maybe there's an analogy there.

Why do I belong to an eco site ? Well , whether the "we're doomed , all doomed " merchants are right or wrong it still seems stupid to waste energy. Who knows tomorrow we may need all we can get for reasons as yet unforeseen ? But I don't lose sleep over it. Approaching a late stage in life I've found that the never-ending scare stories are almost (not sure I need an "almost" here ) always seen as laughable a decade later (when we're all on the next one ).

Now overpopulation-there is a real problem , not unconnected to Eco issues but I try to keep a bit of perspective-even overpopulation is being solved by rising infertility world wide. How about too many people as the next scare story ?

Big Al

Last edited by Big Al; 11-03-11 at 03:58 PM..
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 09:06 PM   #2
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default Ice Age Zombies!!

Sringer?? Is that a spelling mistake or another dry English humor thing??

No Apologies to me please. Since I too am past the stage in life where I take very many things seriously.

I post here a lot and sometimes stick in a joke (or what I Think is a joke).
Always hoping that someone catches on..

I remember seeing the warning on the cover of Time mag (1977)
about "The Coming Ice Age"

And at last, there has been some actual lab work (CLOUD experiment)
done, that seems to show we might really be looking at the long cool period, if sun spot counts stay low..

CERN - CLOUD: cosmic rays and cloud formation

Will Sunspots Freeze Europe This Winter?

Interesting times we live in...

Cheers,
Rich<>
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 09:25 PM   #3
Big Al
Big Al

Interesting yes, but don't let 'em scare you. It was a spelling mistake. I'm not as nifty on the computer as some of the Whiz kids and don't always have all the data to hand, and the memory is not what it was (still not bad though ) so spelling mistakes creep in. Thanks for references . I'll have a look at those.
My trouble is I've always got several 50 projects on the go (fortunately) and as I don't spend much I can afford the energy bills so altho I'm making progress on heat pumps and turbines (measuring my wind conditions ,and I've bought two diggers cheap for terracing the garden (which is when the ground loops go in )) its not a top priority with me.
Rgds. Alan

Big Al
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 07:18 AM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Agreed, no need to apologize. I found it humorous. I just didn't want the thread to get too far off track is all.

We're all here for different reasons weather its to save money or save the world, the goal is still the same, to reduce energy usage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-11, 07:52 AM   #5
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

I'm here, goofing off. Otherwise, retirement would be way too boring..
Plus, I think it's a nice way record what we do. Next year, we can look back
and see if we've improved anything, or made it worse!!

I hope the things we type here, will live on for many years on the web..
Even now, there are people who read my posts, because they are related to me..
(Which I find surprising)
They are interested in what I'm doing. How I'm feeling this week etc..
Life is weird, and then gets stranger later on..

Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
apology. eco issues