EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 02-19-14, 09:54 AM   #1
elsedgwick
Lurking Renovator

Default Heat Pump Placement and Effects on Surrounding Air Temperature

I am having a dual-function Mitsubishi multi-split system (MXZ8B48NA condenser) installed as part of renovations. The house is an old frame house on brick piers and the back end is well off grade (~5.5 feet), and the air circulation around and under the house is good.
In the cooling-dominated climate of North Florida, I was considering putting the condenser under the house, figuring that the deep shade would keep that area slightly cooler in summer (as well as keep it out of sight and save space for landscaping). Does anyone see any issues with this? Will the air under the house just get heated to the point where the advantage from the deep shade is lost? Would dust from this area significantly shorten the lifespan or lessen efficiency?
Also, I'm having a hard time finding data on just how significantly a heat pump changes the temperature of the surrounding air. Anyone know of any resources? Another potential location would be slightly uphill (8-10 feet) from a citrus tree, but I wouldn't want to place it there if it would drop the local temperature by a few degrees in winter.
Thanks for your replies.

Last edited by elsedgwick; 02-19-14 at 12:07 PM..
elsedgwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 10:12 AM   #2
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I am no HVAC expert at all but I can tell you that condenser will use up that cool air under the house in no time. Then it will bring in hot air from outside under your house. Unless your house is built on stilts like at the beach then it would work pretty well.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 10:15 AM   #3
Daox
Administrator

What you could do is use the condenser to pull air through the underside of the house. This would use the coolness, but not heat up the air under the house. So, you would install a vent on one end, and have the condenser on the other end and pull air through.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 12:06 PM   #4
elsedgwick
Lurking Renovator

Thanks for your quick responses.

The house is effectively on stilts - not 6x6s, as you see in beach houses, but brick piers that are about 6x12" and spaced every ten feet or so. And not raised as tall as a beach house - again, about 5.5' off the ground in back, where the unit would be located.

So are you suggesting against doing this, due to the fact that it would pull warmer air under the house (it doesn't matter that the unit is then operating in this warmer air, since that is what it would be doing, anyway, but presumably there is some migration of heat from the space under the house to the conditioned area), or are you suggesting that there just isn't much benefit?
elsedgwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 05:14 PM   #5
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

I would not want it blowing "opposite" air under the house. If you could get the outdoor unit to pull "shady" air, it would help somewhat. The newer mini splits are pretty flexible with temperature anyway. That being said, the closer you can get the supply air to room temperature the better they will save energy.

Most outdoor units shoot for ten degrees F or more of temperature shift.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-14, 08:12 PM   #6
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by elsedgwick View Post
Also, I'm having a hard time finding data on just how significantly a heat pump changes the temperature of the surrounding air. Anyone know of any resources?
I volunteer to be a resource...

My mini-split is located next to my front door, which in hind-site might not have been the best place... not the very worst place, but not the best either.

I've been seeing temperature differences of maybe 4 degrees F, both heating & cooling. But it's always 4 degrees in the least comfortable direction. So, on a hot day, I gotta walk through 4 degrees of even hotter air to get into the cool house... and oppositely so in the winter.

So you don't have snow to worry about, do you?

I just bet that you have a predominately prevailing wind direction, don't you?

If it were me, I'd put the outside unit toward the outside edge of the house, away from the direction of where the prevailing wind blows from. That way, you will get the maximum cooling from the space under the house, AND your exhaust air will be carried away, before it has any chance to build up.

And, I think your idea to put the unit under the house is a great idea. Just make sure that you allow easy access (including headspace) in case you need to clean the coils of any crud, or to service it in any other way.

You forgot to enumerate the advantage that 'out of sight is out of mind' with regards to security.

But make sure to mount it up just a bit from the ground to reduce the exposure to airborne dust.

Best,

-AC_Hacker