EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-02-11, 09:48 PM   #41
Big Al
Big Al

Take this as an interim reply guys. I have to do a little research to answer this. I can quickly tell you that my monthly standing order for electricity is £98 and for gas (heating only and hot water ) £133.
As I seem to be the only guy in the UK (I live in central Scotland) this info. probably means little to the rest of you guys.
I live on my own in a 4 bedroom detached house and occasionally use a bit of electricity for heating as a top-up.Without going in to detail the house is pretty well insulated and we don't of course need a/c in Scotland. I don't feel the cold a lot so I probably keep the house colder than most would.
I have an electricity consumption meter that is telling me (today) I used 525 KWh in the last 30 days i.e.17.5 KWh per day. Since installing that I'm a little more careful in turning things off .Consumption will no doubt go up a bit now we are going into winter with darkness falling earlier but at this time of the year there is no electric heating in that figure.
I believe this is far too high and long term I will be installing a heat pump and a wind turbine. I am not in a great hurry with this project (one of many ) as I am not particularly financially inconvenienced by the money , and am not a great believer in global warming-if it is really a problem why do the "global warmers" have to lie so often both in the media and in third rate science. To paraphrase Einstein "if it were true they would n't have to lie".
I don't really see the point of this survey as it depends so much on the respondents hobbies (e.g.are you running machine tools ) , susceptibility to cold, etc. etc.
My reason for responding and for eventually installing "Eco" systems is that even if you're not a doom monger its still a good idea not to waste energy (and money-I'm English but I'm picking up a few Scottish tricks and attitudes ).
My view is that you Colonials {(I include the US who illegally escaped us by chucking our troops tea in the sea , an event I am trying to get classified as a war-crime. Our troops don't fight good without their cup of tea , and without this dastardly crime I'm sure we would have got at least a draw.} should be supplying the mother country with free energy and if we have any left over we will of course return the excess with New Zealand getting first pick because we like the KIwis. Although we don't expect Poland to contribute energy we may return some to them too , due to Piwoslaws heroic effort of using only 4 KWh per day in Poland. If I lived in Poland I'm sure I'd be up at an average of 25KWh per day.

Big Al

Last edited by Big Al; 11-02-11 at 10:16 PM.. Reason: Additional info added plus share for Poland
Big Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-11, 10:29 PM   #42
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Default Hey!

It was all a big misunderstanding. It wasn't us colonist, it was the locals!!

We did have to close some roads from Boston. (Being against gun confiscation and all).

There is still the same rebellious spirit here today. When leaders turn out bad, we turn out and take control.

A lot of those Yellow spots are flags.. They look like this..
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 03:03 AM   #43
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Poland already exports electricity, to Sweden for example. That way we offer to pollute our own air when they are in low-hydro season. And we have a minister or two who would just love to open more strip mines to burn even more coal (they just love coal:heart: ) so that our country doesn't fall too far back in the polluting race

Anyways, my 4kWh/day is just for electricity, I should factor in the kWh equivalent of natural gas. But even then our household would still be using 50-70% of the average here.

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 11-03-11 at 03:05 AM..
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 06:14 AM   #44
Big Al
Big Al

Sorry Xringer, we probably can't allow those first two photographs as evidence. They look like forgeries to me . Still that will be up to the war crimes tribunal. (And another thing -we suspect that rebel Washington of avoiding our legitimate ferry tax when he crossed the Delaware.)
We in Britain are quick to forgive and forget ( The T.Rex that crossed the then existing landbridge to Britain and ate some of our plant eaters has already been forgiven although we did have a bit of trouble gathering evidence-we think it was German but can't prove it) but that tea business is just too fresh in the memory.
Piwoslaw -As one of the few countries not in our Glorious Empire we do not hold it against Poland that you decided to export to Sweden. We also certainly have n't forgotten that Poland probably saved Europe twice (Siege of Vienna , and Miracle on the Vistula ) and received precious little thanks for either. Was n't it Poland as well that precipitated the fall of the iron curtain ? You've also had a lot of trouble with the neighbours who in general seem a pretty aggressive bunch-we've got the Picts and Scots but fotunately there's not a lot of them.
Poland will get their share after the Kiwis have had their pick although you might have to wait until we have recovered our Glorious Empire (won't be easy.We're going to tackle the Yanks first , then the Ozzies, followed rapidly by the S. Africans and India,then the rest. Pity the French are n't on our list-we could do with an easy match but at least we have n't drawn China or Israel.

Big Al

Last edited by Big Al; 11-03-11 at 07:31 AM..
Old 11-03-11, 06:49 AM   #45
Big Al
Big Al

Piwoslaw-you use 4KWh per day and Poland's average is 7-8 KWH per day. How do you guys do that ? I don't have a vast knowledge of Poland but I imagine its very hot in Summer compared with the UK (no a/c ?) . I do know its v. cold in winter and even with natural gas heating and hot water there are still pumps and control systems to run electrically.Presumably, like me , a lot of people turn off heat in rooms they are not using but this often involves a quick heat (electrically with me ) when I need to use one of these rooms.
I live on my own (wife thinks I am too soft on colonials ), have a pretty well-insulated house by British standards, and since getting the energy monitor have been careful , well more careful, about switching things off. When I go to bed the energy monitor usually shows about 370W ( standby power, fridge, freezer, central heating controls and pump-altho the heating is off practically all night. I use low energy bulbs practically everywhere.
One problem I do have is I have an outside workshop (currently being converted to being heated by a heat exchanger in the boiler flue-careful not to obstruct it. This does however mean running machines occasionally , a lot of lighting (fluorescent) , plus a couple of low energy bulbs to light my way to the door. I also have a cat that would like the house temperature to be double that which I need but this is one wish of hers I ignore-if she's pushed I tell her she can sleep in the microwave set on defrost low power.

Altho I run machines (hobby ) this does mean I can repair a lot of things other people would regard as unmendable both for me and others which must save a lot of carbon , so I don't feel too guilty but it is worrying that my usage compared with yours and many of our US colleagues on this forum might suggest we in Britain are nearer the extravagant American model ( car not fast enough?-chuck on another couple of litres-no wait a minute make that cubic inches just to be sure. ) than the more economical countries. This is not meant as a criticism of the American way of life , each country earns its own rewards in general , and the Americans I find ingenious , hard working and pretty generous to others. My only gripe is that they are not really Americans -they are really part of our Empire. Still the war crimes tribunal should sort that out-must n't grumble.

Big Al

Last edited by Big Al; 11-03-11 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: further info.
Old 11-03-11, 06:54 AM   #46
Xringer
Lex Parsimoniae

Big Al, what can I say.. Back in those days (before I was born), all photography had a very low pixel count.
And, to this day many of the locals in Boston are still prone to vandalism!

Piwoslaw, I would like to thank the Polish people for their inventiveness!
They are a very resourceful people! I could not get my day started without my Inka!!
Inka Naturalis - Instant Grain Beverage (A great Coffee substitute).
I've just ordered another large shipment!
Until my final days, I promise to do my part to help Polish farmers, by consuming their fine products!
(The Sun is just starting to shine here, and I'm already on my second cup)!

Cheers,
Rich
Xringer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 10:56 AM   #47
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Perhaps we should start another thread called:

"DATA ONLY - What is your average kWh/day usage?"

Regards,

-AC_Hacker
Old 11-03-11, 11:02 AM   #48
Daox
Administrator

Haha yeah guys, lets bring things back on track here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 11:11 AM   #49
BarryZ
Lurking Renovator

Default Average KWH usage

We used 4292 kwh over the last 12 months which averages 11.76 kwh per day. Not too bad for family of 4 (2 teenage girls, Mom & Dad), 1600 sq ft house in Grand Rapids, MI. Gas heat and hot water, elec stove., central AC only used when it gets over 90 or so.

My water bills ( sewer and water, actually) are consistently higher than the electric bill, which really p----s me off! Shoot, now I have to flush the toilet again.
BarryZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-11, 12:01 PM   #50
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarryZ View Post
My water bills ( sewer and water, actually) are consistently higher than the electric bill, which really p----s me off! Shoot, now I have to flush the toilet again.
Don't say you flush every time? If it's yellow, let it mellow...
How about a grey and/or rain water system?