EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Tools
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-04-21, 10:00 AM   #11
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The check valve was the wrong size for the top pipe. I ordered the correct one. I hope to do the home hydro test in next couple days.

The motor sounds really good now much quitter. I will take a new video of it running once the check valve comes in.

I ordered two 3/4" check valves so I can plum the two compressors together. That way I can run one or the other or both at the same time.
I might run a bypass to the check valve on the old compressor that way I can have extra storage.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-21, 08:08 PM   #12
Daox
Administrator

Lookin good!

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
pinballlooking (02-06-21)
Old 02-06-21, 09:10 AM   #13
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I did the pressure washer test. It was kind of a mess. I got out the pressure washer and it has not been run in a long time.
The cord would not pull to turn the motor over. I took out the spark plug and cylinder was full of gas. I got that out and took off the carburetor cleaned it out.
Then it started and was not filling up with fuel. Then the wand was working but stuck on.
I took it apart and it has some debris keeping it from closing. I fixed that and pressure washed the tank.

When doing the pressure test, I got it to 250 psi let off to see what the pressure was at. But the back pressure made it so the pressure washer would not open the valve to put more pressure in.

I guess I need a check valve there. I just went with I checked on it after one hour it had no pressure loss.
I will call that good as I adjusted the new pressure valve to 165 psi cut off anyway.
I put new wiring on it I need to make a small steel cover for the motor wires.

Here it is running I just need to clean up the guard and put it back the move to its new home and wire it up.

Project cost

Old compressor $100.00
Outlet Valve 3/4" Valve $12.31
Rebuild kit Valves gasket $66.86
Square D pressure switch $17.12
Check Valve $9.60
Motor Bearings $13.06
Pressure Gauge $10.92

Total cost $229.87
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210205_164951.jpg
Views:	937
Size:	88.8 KB
ID:	9194   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210205_164959.jpg
Views:	890
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	9195   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210205_215102.jpg
Views:	891
Size:	130.4 KB
ID:	9196  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 02-08-21, 08:39 AM   #14
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Bad news

It now it has a pin hole dripping water out the bottom. Time to look for a new tank.
I am bummed about it.

Here is it running and all put together.

I took the large plug at the bottom out. 18” pipe wrench and a 3’ cheater bar.
Then me jumping on it more than once to get it started.

There is a ½ rust in the bottom I may pressure wash it and determine if it one spot or it is just shot.

It had a 2-3 gallons of water in it when I bought it home. I do not know home many years it had that in it. Maybe that water was in it for years. It is 45 years old.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210207_112745.jpg
Views:	919
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	9199  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 02-08-21 at 01:06 PM..
Old 02-22-21, 11:52 AM   #15
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I know some people probably will not like this.
I used a magnet to clean the rust out of the compressor tank. I could see two spots where is had rusted thin.

They were ½ a dime size and a few inches apart. I drilled a very small hole in where pinhole was dripping.

That way I knew exactly where to position the patch. I cut out a 1/8” plate steel about 4” x 5” and went down to bare steel on the tank.

Welded the patch on put some air in it and rewelded a couple spots.
The final pressure tested to 100 psi. I will do another home hydro test on this tank.

This will go in my front grange just be used for tires… I will drop the max pressure down to maybe 150 psi.
No need for 175 psi on this compressor.

When I have my other old compressor running I will sell my old sears 6.5 HP direct drive compressor.

I have two pancake compressors. My E-max 5HP compressor my sears 6.5 HP my Kellogg 2 HP compressor and my Quincy 5 HP compressor.
I now have six compressors It is time to let one go.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 02-23-21 at 06:30 AM..
Old 02-22-21, 01:37 PM   #16
Daox
Administrator

Nah, thats kind of what I was thinking. Is it perfect, no probably not. But the tanks are welded from the factory and it will likely work just fine for many years.

&
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-21, 05:56 PM   #17
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I did the home Hydro test. Filled it completely with water. Then used pressure washer to pressurize it.
I pressure tested it to 310 psi. it held good. With this test I would feel good at even 175 psi but it probably move it down to 155 psi.

Knowing the pressure washer limitation not going any higher than 250 psi once you let off the trigger. I made it so I could watch the gauge as I pressurized it. When I saw it 300 I let off.

No leaks good to go.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20210223_172559.jpg
Views:	867
Size:	215.7 KB
ID:	9226  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 02-23-21 at 08:06 PM..
Old 02-23-21, 10:19 PM   #18
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

It is all back together. I used a pipe clamp to help get the belt tighter. It is now putting out 8.2 CFM that is better. Now on to my other compressor.

If you wanted to buy a two stage 175 psi 7-8 CFM cast iron pump compressor 60 gallon tank you would be paying around $900.

I think for the money I have into it It is a nice little compressor.
I always wanted to know how a compressor worked. To me it was worth the cost just to now know how a compressor works and bring one back to life. They do not make them like this anymore unless you pay big bucks.

It was a fun little project. I also feel better testing it out at 310 psi.

Last night I left it over night with 150 psi in it. I just checked it this morning and it still has 150 psi in it.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 02-24-21 at 12:52 PM..
Old 07-30-23, 09:48 AM   #19
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I got this as a backup and we built an new shop and my other compressors and not up and running just yet. I am using this compressor as the primary one just for plasma cutting and die grinders.
It is working like a champ and it is very quiet. My other compressors are going to be ready in a few days.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (07-30-23)