EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Tools
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-04-17, 11:15 AM   #1
oil pan 4
Land owner

Default Pneumatic strapping tool

After mostly working on strapping tools and using them a little where I work I figured I should look them up and see if they are cheap enough for me to buy one for intermittent to light use.
The way they work is you feed strap into the tool, then they hold and tighten a plastic strap around an item or material with the push of a button. Then when the strap is tight enough push the cut/weld button and the tool will cut, friction weld the plastic together then hold the melted plastic together until you hit the release, releasing the tool and tensioned strap from the material or item.

Air consumption is not as much as I expected. My smallest 120v oilless compressor can easily keep up with it. The cheap little one I have only calls for 72 to 100psi. I'm using mine at 85psi but will probably turn it down to the minimum. Weld time is like 1 second at 85psi for most strapping.

Reasons I want/need one.
The need to satisfy the want.
I sell a lot of stuff on ebay, the strapper can clamp loose items together so they don't damage each other in transit.
The strapping can make a loose bulky item smaller, smaller items are cheaper to ship.
As a replacement for ratchet straps on my trailer, on long trips my ratchet straps get trashed by abrasion. Poly strapping is very abrasion resistant compared to nylon ratchet straps. Poly strapping is free for me at the moment and can be one time use or reused. Nylon ratchet straps on the other hand are not free.

Well the price on strapping tools ranges from $3,000 to $200.
The ones they use where I work are in the $3,000 to $1,400 price range. That is around 10x more than what I could pay for one.
So I found a cheap chicom unit for $190.

Then there is the strapping.
The smallest roll I can find is like 4,000 feet. It's a big roll and costs over $100. The spools of strapping really need to be on a roll stand, kind of looks like a garden hose reel. Other wise I'm sure the strapping spool will unwrap it's self and tangle if you try to use it with out a stand.
But I found that I can take pieces of strapping off old packages and boxes friction weld the pics together and make them longer and reuse them.

If I ever do buy a roll of strapping im getting the heavy duty black 5/8 or 3/4 inch wide strap as thick as I can find it.

oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-17, 11:57 AM   #2
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Sounds like a good buy post a picture of it.
I could have used one many times.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-17, 10:57 PM   #3
oil pan 4
Land owner

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1114.JPG
Views:	769
Size:	150.1 KB
ID:	7879   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1115.JPG
Views:	749
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	7880   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1116.JPG
Views:	764
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	7881  
oil pan 4 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to oil pan 4 For This Useful Post:
Daox (08-31-17), svensi (12-19-17)
Old 12-19-17, 11:45 AM   #4
svensi
Lurking Renovator

Very nice!

och spela på
eller direkt på
om du vill ha den bästa upplevelsen.
svensi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pneumatic, strapping, tool