EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-20-09, 11:05 AM   #11
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I'm too impatient for this stuff

I know I have to wait about 2 weeks to see anything out of my seeds. it's been 4 days... i'm dying :-P

I did pick up two compost bins this weekend. (forgot to take a picture of where I put em, one is on the side of my garage, and the other is behind, i'm worried about the one behind the garage getting enough light for heat - but here's what they are: Earth Machine. $35 each wasn't TOO bad. just buying wood to build one nowadays costs damn near as much)

This is even worse than the seeds. I'm looking for anything and everything i can toss in there, i want compost NOW. It's a bad time to start it now though since I have next to no leaves in my yard to mix in. The only ones i have were on my pool cover. You're only supposed to use limited amounts of grass. I usually don't bag anyway, but i'll just start bagging a small portion to throw in there. my county wants us to 'not' use ANY food products, but they can eat me. I'll do what I can, ie: not meat, dairy, etc (i don't have leftovers often anyway, just means i'll stop throwing out apple/fruit cores. and i'm surprised that egg shells are 'ok' to use in em)

the list is pretty good & surprised me on what's OK though.... hair, pet hair, drier lint, contents of vacuum cleaner, shredded newspaper/cardboard (i recycle all/most paper anyway, but this help with some contents of the bin)

so, i'll just have to see how that all goes! maybe I can pull off a 2-month cycle... if not, i'll definitely/should definitely have some for next year. anything to not have to buy bags of dirt anymore.

Last edited by insaneintenti0n; 04-20-09 at 11:24 AM..
insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 12:12 PM   #12
Higgy
The Gardener

Hey I have one of those. I haven't set it up yet though. It cost me about 25 bucks CAD. We can only buy them once a year during Earth week or something like that. I think they're more expensive now. I'm just trying to find a spot in my yard to put this thing though. I need to put it somewhere where it won't disrupt my lawn mowing procedures.
Higgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-09, 01:01 PM   #13
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

^ that's actually my problem. I finally cleared out a 3 1/2-4" wide path on the side of my garage so i could mow it, and now I put one bin right at the entrance. guess i'll just have to squeeze by it with the weed wacker.

my biggest concern ATM is actually that the back half of my yard is stone (small pebbles) & soil. So I have to watch how far I dig out the compost when I do, so i'm not taking a bunch of stones with it.
Old 04-20-09, 02:18 PM   #14
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

I HAS BABIES!

I realized I didn't add holes to the containers for draining excess water, so when i went out there to poke holes i noticed some sprouts

Here's some more pictures

Here's my fancy labeling

And where I have them set up (along w/ the pre started green peppers cause I was to lazy to track down seeds when the place i got mine from didn't have any)
Old 04-21-09, 10:06 AM   #15
Higgy
The Gardener

Nice. Lookin goooood.
Old 04-24-09, 07:40 AM   #16
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Seeds after 1 week.

The sprouts are Lettuce and Broccoli.
Old 04-30-09, 08:05 PM   #17
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Alright, week two. Some of everything has sprouted. Next pix will have em planted I guess

Celery & Lettuce

Broccoli & Watermelon

I need to pull out more, i've done a little, but there's still too much in each cup. I put in way too many seeds. Not TOOO many extra, but more than like 4-5 seeds.
Old 06-01-09, 05:41 AM   #18
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

after ~6 weeks

Old 06-01-09, 09:02 AM   #19
Higgy
The Gardener

Lookin good. From right to left is lettuse then celery, then I'm guessing is broccoli. Are those watermelon plants on the end? Because they look almost like pepper plants. I've never seen a watermelon plant before so I assumed it looked more like a pumpkin plant.

Yours are farther along then my veggies. I'll have to snap some shots.
Old 06-01-09, 09:14 AM   #20
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Watermelon is in another garden. The first two i transplanted died, so i put in two new ones yesterday.

You're right though, lettuce, celery, broccoli, peppers. Celery I had to replant a few also. Fairly happy with the progress. Can't wait for something to eat. I was craving a pepper yesterday.

Tags
compost, garden