EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Renovations & New Construction
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-21-16, 04:37 PM   #11
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

You might consider the perfect wall.

I build my passive solar greenhouse back wall and roof that way and I really works well.

Here is someone else on here that built with the perfect wall idea.
My camp build 2012 | Off grid tips, cartoons, paths taken
http://ecorenovator.org/forum/renova...ay-foam-2.html

There is a lot of info on the new about the perfect wall system.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-16, 08:44 AM   #12
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Steve those are a lot of good ideas. But I plan on installing geothermal in the beginning as with the metal roof and siding. I hate doing things twice. All of these ideas are why I started this thread so early..to plan it out now and come up with all of the crazy ideas first and then build the house. I do plan on building a large garage probably 40x50 or so that will be slab and a planned on putting radiant heat in the slab when I built it even tho I'm not sure when I'll get around to actually heating it. My main concern for radiant floor heat is the humidity issue in the summer. The girlfriend and I can take a fair amount of heat but when it gets humid the ac goes on. So that being said I know there is a huge thread on radiant floor heating on this site that I'm starting to read through again. I'm ok with radiant floor especially matched with a geothermal/solar heat system as long as it's in the budget. What threat budget is? I'm not sure just yet. But that's why I want to get ideas now and price them out to see what I can afford and what I can't.

Does anyone remember off the top of their head what the best option for new construction radiant floor is? I know I'll get to it in the thread eventually.

Also other interesting thought was we both would like a hot tub. But I don't like the idea of that giant power hog. But does any know of anyone has successfully used a geothermal heat pump to heat one?

Also more info on the property. We plan to have a kinda large pond. It's a requirement so I plan to put the geothermal pipe in the pond and or in the ground for a closed loop system.
Fordguy64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-16, 11:39 AM   #13
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Hmm well I'm giving some serious thought to warmboard.. Seems to be pretty amazing stuff.. I also discovered that they make hydronic air handlers. I'm considering this for use for air conditioning and dehumidification of the house in the summer time. I would use the same water to water geothermal unit for this

http://www.warmboard.com/sites/defau...ves_Energy.pdf
Old 05-26-16, 05:40 PM   #14
stevehull
Steve Hull

Fordguy,

What is your budget to do all this? And what time frame?

A pond needs to be rather deep and large in your area to provide sufficient BTUs in the winter.

Not trying to be a skeptic, but these plans are either very expensive or very time consuming - and potentially both.

That is why I suggest doing those things first that can never be done over.

Also think of the merits (and money savings) of open loop vs closed loop.

Steve
Old 05-26-16, 06:52 PM   #15
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

so a lot of this will depend on how much I end up making off of my current house hopefully 50-75k but I'm expecting 50. so if that come around I will be paying for some of this expensive stuff with cash. I have access to heavy machinery and people in almost all trades.I myself am a "jack of all trades". I have a lot of friends and family that are willing to help(we will see how that goes). But for example the electrition that I have lined up said he would come in and help my lay out the outlets and switches and also what gauge wire to run where. Then i would do that work myself and have him come back to finish the details and sign "the papers " or what ever is involved with inspections. so that in its self will save $$ I've also worked out a similar deal with the hvac guy. Well thats the plan anyway.

as far as time frame? not sure. depends on how many people actually help lol

but without actually talking to warm board yet ive seen what people are paying for a panel online and it seems to be 190ish dollars. i would need 53 panels i believe. plus 1600 or so feet of pex al pex for the main floor and about 1600 or so for the slab in the basement and probably something similar for the 2000sqft garage. the garage will not have electric or anything in the beginning. just a pad doors and a roof/siding.

also I'm going to find out what the minimum requirement is for actually living in the house. for example, do all three bathrooms need to be finished? if not ill just finish the master bath since it will be myself and the girlfriend living there. obviously the rough plumbing would be in for the other two bathrooms. basically get into the house and finish it over time. we have worked out the financial end of things once we are in the house. so i feel like we have a good direction to head in.
Old 05-26-16, 08:04 PM   #16
stevehull
Steve Hull

Look here for great values in GT heat pumps.

Geothermal Heat Pump Systems | Buy Goodman Heat Pump | Geothermal Heat Pumps | Goodman Air Conditioner

Steve
Old 05-26-16, 08:16 PM   #17
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

i actually bought the furnace and ac for my current house from there. i think my hvac guy might be able to do better but we will see when we get to that point
Old 06-01-16, 09:47 PM   #18
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

so Ive been doing some research on icfs.. and well i think menards might be getting a lot of business from me haha

I plan to do 1 long wall and the two short walls (house will be 60x28) with fox block icfs.so thats a total of 116 linear feet at 8' tall gives me 147 straight block and 24 90* blocks with 285 hv clips lots of rebar and about 23 yardss of concrete.

cost should be less than 10k for foundation and basement floor concrete. obviously plus pex tube and insulation for under floor. the fox block is r 23 i believe.

https://youtu.be/d1qpVYGGDxo

So that would put the cost of fox block at a little more than double for the 4x8 sheets of foam. But the real question is how much does it save in labor?

Last edited by Fordguy64; 06-01-16 at 10:18 PM..
Old 06-02-16, 12:34 PM   #19
Fordguy64
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Found this on warm boards website

http://www.warmboard.com/sites/defau..._Warmboard.pdf
Old 06-02-16, 12:50 PM   #20
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fordguy64 View Post
so Ive been doing some research on icfs.. and well i think menards might be getting a lot of business from me haha

I plan to do 1 long wall and the two short walls (house will be 60x28) with fox block icfs.so thats a total of 116 linear feet at 8' tall gives me 147 straight block and 24 90* blocks with 285 hv clips lots of rebar and about 23 yardss of concrete.

cost should be less than 10k for foundation and basement floor concrete. obviously plus pex tube and insulation for under floor. the fox block is r 23 i believe.

https://youtu.be/d1qpVYGGDxo

So that would put the cost of fox block at a little more than double for the 4x8 sheets of foam. But the real question is how much does it save in labor?
MAKE SURE you get a concrete contractor that has worked with and poured ICFs before. My dad's ICF primary house has a shoddy concrete job that now causes some water leakage into his basement.

EDIT: Better yet, get a slump cone and verify the concrete slump yourself before they pour.

natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote