EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Wind Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-05-10, 09:47 PM   #1
lichong712
Lurking Renovator

Default How to protect PVC-made wind blades?

Exposed to sunlight for long periods of time, I am worried about PVC-made blades will be fragile. so how to protect them? cover any kind of paint on them

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
lichong712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-10, 05:49 PM   #2
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

I don't know of any reputable company making blades out of PVC, it's just not strong enough, so it shouldn't be an issue, other plastic based blades tend to have UV stabilizers in the plastic, but on top of that they have to hold up to the stress of high wind, centrifugal force, dust in the air hitting them, ice clinging to them.
being a wind turbine is not an easy job.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 07:17 AM   #3
WisJim
Helper EcoRenovator

Latex paint might work, but I wouldn't expect PVC to hold up too long no matter what you did to the material.
WisJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 09:41 AM   #4
wyatt
Helper EcoRenovator

I've heard of people making their own blades... I think you can even find "PVC Optimized" designs online for making your own. There was a guy that built his own wind turbine and had one blade fail due to 50+mph winds. I don't think it had lasted long enough to have UV problems. Check out his web site. I would think if you wanted them to hold up you may be able to make them, then sand them and coat with a couple layers of fiberglass with resin. It will protect the PVC from the sun, and add substantial strength to the overall blade.
wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-10, 09:39 PM   #5
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

The trouble with PVC is that it is not good for making blades out of, it's weak, it has very little spring to it but will shatter when it goes cold or after it ages and off the top of my head I can't think of anything that will stick to it other then solvent based glues and those seem to only work because they melt the PVC, fiberglass will flake off, not something good to have happen to a spinning prop.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-10, 12:31 PM   #6
wyatt
Helper EcoRenovator

Perhaps you could use the extreme smoothness to your advantage, use a PVC blade as a male mold for making fiberglass blades...

Blades could also be shaped out of foam and fiberglassed using this technique. The resulting blade would be super strong and light, and any shape that you want.

wyatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pvc, wind turbine blades