EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-06-18, 07:34 PM   #31
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have all my loops run. I have about 200 foot covered back up 2’ – 3’. The mini Ex went home today.
It ended up being 1K for all the digging.

Here is what you look like after running two loops.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181206_173644.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	46.2 KB
ID:	8433   Click image for larger version

Name:	Resized_20181206_162519_2158.jpg
Views:	1240
Size:	56.7 KB
ID:	8434  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-06-18 at 09:05 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-18-18), Fordguy64 (12-07-18)
Old 12-08-18, 12:16 PM   #32
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

My sub compact tractor did a great job partly filling in the trench.

I was able to get over 400’ of the trenches partly filled in before the 3 days of rain we are having.

I took the packing off the Geo Unit.
I ordered and was invoiced for Desuperheater hot water feature but it does not have one installed.

This is such a bummer I have a lifetime warranty hot water buffer tank being trucked shipped it WAS $924 tank.

I sent place I bought Geo Unit form an email and a Voice mail.

Nick the owner just called me he said not to worry he would make it right and get me the unit with the Desuperheater hot water feature ship this one back. No cost to me. Can't ask for better service than that. Anyone can sell you something it what they do when things don't go as planed is whats important.

I had a guy quote me putting in my Geo he wanted to replace all my duct work and wanted 6K to do the job. I almost fell out of my chair laughing.
He wanted 3K upfront before starting work. I would never do that ever.

I had another company come out to give a quote you could tell he did not want the job and I left him a message couple times he did not even give me a quote.

Another company was going to come yesterday and today never showed up.
Never called to say they would not show up. if they treat me this way before the sale just think how they would be after getting paid.

It looks like I will be installing the unit myself. It is 357 pounds I will need to put down plywood in the crawl space and use moving dollies to get to the location about 25’ into the crawl space.

I have pallet forks for my tractor I should be able to put it in the doorway of the crawl space.

I have never done ductwork before other than taping and applying mastic.
I watched some youtube videos making custom plenum it did not look that hard. I saw a place in Greenville that you could order a custom one made maybe I will check into that.

I might be able to take out my AC coil and use that box to connect to the supply side.
Anyone that has done this type of work I am open to suggestions.
Or point me to a good how to.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181208_101944.jpg
Views:	1212
Size:	86.4 KB
ID:	8435   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181208_102130.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	87.6 KB
ID:	8436   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181208_101852.jpg
Views:	1355
Size:	91.6 KB
ID:	8437   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181208_101840.jpg
Views:	1328
Size:	162.5 KB
ID:	8438   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181208_100005.jpg
Views:	1174
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	8439  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-08-18 at 01:52 PM..
Old 12-09-18, 08:54 PM   #33
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I have read that loops like moisture. Will my loops should be very happy.

We have had a big storm some snow and lots of rain.

The trench was dug about 30’ to long. I was trying to beat the weather and just cover the loops.

I did not fill it in where it was to long. I just back filled where the my loop lines were.

The top of the trench is 6’ deep with no dirt filled in I put a blue line in the picture so you can tell where there is 6' deep water.

The pictures are the same trench. crazy how much water is in that trench.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Inked20181208_102130_LI.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	8440   Click image for larger version

Name:	Inked20181209_164602_LI.jpg
Views:	1193
Size:	52.2 KB
ID:	8441  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-18-18)
Old 12-09-18, 09:05 PM   #34
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I took pictures of the inside the Geothermal unit.
Hopefully someone is interested in seeing the inside of this unit.

I did what your guys would have done I took it apart to make sure everything looks good.
When I get the one with the Desuperheater hot water feature I will seal up some of the insulation.

The control board it is on a hinge

ECM blower motor
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181209_145922.jpg
Views:	1188
Size:	81.4 KB
ID:	8442   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181209_145945.jpg
Views:	1206
Size:	80.8 KB
ID:	8443   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181209_145952.jpg
Views:	1217
Size:	85.8 KB
ID:	8444   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181209_145959.jpg
Views:	1182
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	8445   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181209_150010.jpg
Views:	1195
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	8446  

Name:	20181209_150053.jpg
Views:	1175
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	8447   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181209_150100.jpg
Views:	1209
Size:	89.5 KB
ID:	8448  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-10-18 at 10:00 PM..
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-18-18), Fordguy64 (12-10-18)
Old 12-11-18, 12:19 PM   #35
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Nick at TerraSource has been great to deal with. The customer service has been excellent.
https://www.geothermalheaters.com/
He has me a new Unit coming on the truck now.
I always say any company can take your money for a sale but when there are bumps in the road it is how they handle it is important.

Very happy so far.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-11-18, 05:27 PM   #36
djastram
Lurking Renovator

I put in my own geo about 9 years ago. I went with a split geo with a natural gas furnace as backup/auxiliary heat. If I had to do it over again, I would do it exactly the same.

Mine is 38000 btu (3 ton) 2 stage waterfurnace that I bought on ebay. It had been damaged in shipping, so I got it cheap enough.

I used a QT zero pressure flow center so I didn't need a flush cart. I have 3 slinky loops, 1000' long each.

I have some pictures on youtube if you would like to look at it.

Search for "geothermal heatpump install" under djastram.
djastram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-18, 07:29 PM   #37
ledbalon
Lurking Renovator

It is interesting that had you taken your mini splits and added a simple pump like a taco 009 and https://sc01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1bzjxK...pg_350x350.jpg this freon loop you could have had them installed for a few hundred. and POOF could have saved MANY thousands
ledbalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-18, 03:14 AM   #38
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by djastram View Post
I put in my own geo about 9 years ago. I went with a split geo with a natural gas furnace as backup/auxiliary heat. If I had to do it over again, I would do it exactly the same.

Mine is 38000 btu (3 ton) 2 stage waterfurnace that I bought on ebay. It had been damaged in shipping, so I got it cheap enough.

I used a QT zero pressure flow center so I didn't need a flush cart. I have 3 slinky loops, 1000' long each.

I have some pictures on youtube if you would like to look at it.

Search for "geothermal heatpump install" under djastram.
I watched your video. You were in the mud also. Nice install. How has it been working. Do you have to use much natural gas heat? How many sq foot are you heating?

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-13-18, 12:33 AM   #39
ctgottapee
Helper EcoRenovator

Unless you must have nat gas for cooking, one area you can really save some money and headache is buy getting rid of it totally.

You can always keep a space heater around for just inncase, or eventually hook up/add 5 or 10k of resistance for that rare need of ever.

You can also add a small instant electric water heater inline, in case your hot water tank needs a lil extra push. I have the same water tank and its nice - you could try to rely on the upper heating element as well for a little backup but it won't keep up really; would only be useful if desuperheater or geo system is totally down.

You'll prob not find anyone who just wants to run the ductwork as its a lot of labor, and they make their money overcharging on the equipment.
You could maybe ask to see if you can get a reputable place to just design the ductwork, do the load calcs, pay for their knowledge. You might find a place that specializes in energy reteofits, does blower door testing and such that may do it, and add in the testing and other services like thermal imaging, etc to make it worthwhile.

Nice work on the build so far.

Next is to think about adding a humidifier and which, and looking at air filter systems.
ctgottapee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ctgottapee For This Useful Post:
pinballlooking (12-13-18)
Old 12-13-18, 04:51 PM   #40
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

We have natural gas vent free logs we use when the power is out in the winter.
I have backup heat for may green house is a closed loop natural gas vent free hot water tank.
Right now, we have a natural gas tankless water heater it runs $20 a month total gas and meter fee.
The Geo could save enough to switch to electric hot water with Geo supplying some of that hot water.
I will have to get some pictures I took the day off spent it on the tractor filling in the trenches.
My new hot water holding tank made it here.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 01-03-19 at 02:26 PM..