EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-15-15, 08:30 AM   #1
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Default Solar pool filter

Its been super hot here and to shed some power usage I've been limiting my pool pump run time. The pool water is suffering, usable but not sparking clean. I found this on Amazon awhile back. I will be knocking one off, this weekend if there's time. I already have a 20 watt panel with a charge controller and small pool filter, just need a $20 bilge pump.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...f_rd_i=desktop

gtojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-15, 09:43 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Sounds like a good idea to me.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-15, 04:39 PM   #3
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 08-16-15, 04:55 PM   #4
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

The original unit for sale uses what looks like the Rule 360 gph pump. It is rated for 2.0 amps 24 watts. I bought the Attwood 500 gph Tsunami rated 1.5 amps 18 watts. Other than the bilge pump the rest was laying around from other projects. It all squeezes together for a snug fit. I bought the 20 watt panel from craigslist a few months ago for $20. While I could buy more fittings to make it look like the original I don't see the point, function should be the same, perhaps I'll get more water filtered because of the 500 gph and lower power requirement. Trickiest thing will be panel placement, my yard is extra shady.
Old 08-16-15, 05:57 PM   #5
where2
DIY Geek

Curious to see how this does for you in your pool. I have a pond I need to try filtering some summer...
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-16, 10:26 AM   #6
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Pump motor stopped working a few weeks ago. Lasted about 6 months for a $20 pump. Motor windings opened up but still spins. Perhaps the chlorine killed the windings or the seal to the motor had a leak. The plastic bilge pump was the unknown and it doesn't suprise me it failed. I don't think they are built for such continued use. I was able to keep the pool satisfactorily clean with the solar and a small 40 watt pump over the winter. Not crystal clear, and no skimmer. I do have a 200 gph marine rated stainless pump I bought at harbor freight for another project I might try soon. Its not submersible but it is self priming I think I can make it work.
Old 04-01-16, 07:45 PM   #7
where2
DIY Geek

Thanks for the update. Those pumps appear to have a 3-year warranty, in the event you'd like to continue this test.

Looking over their website, I wondered if there could be any difference in the expected durability between the "Aerator pumps" and the "Bilge pumps". Then I found the tables with the replacement motor cartridge listings. I see they use the same cartridge, so I guess the answer to my question is "No".

where2 is offline   Reply With Quote