EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Solar Power
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-20-15, 07:57 PM   #1
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Default Ticking all the boxes

We are about to embark on the last augment for home energy. I've been closely watching the price of solar PV and here in Canada the price of solar PV panels has bottomed out, or so I believe and prices have started to rise.

I believe its time for us to jump in.

So far we have done the other improvements to reduce our energy usage. A large solar hot water system. New windows. Extra insulation. better sealing against air infiltration. Geo thermal in-floor heating. LED lighting. It is now time.

The first facet will be a solar pergola. We had a pergola a few years ago and it offered a diffused light pattern that was really appreciated by the Mrs. for our patio area. This pergola was constructed of wood and would wave around in the wind here. We have lots of wind during winter. It was disassembled and given away before it blew away.

So the new solar pergola will be a double hit. Shade for the patio and Solar generated electricity.

The dream of Net Zero Home is strong but possibly un-obtainable. However there is now some very interesting products now available. Like Tesla's new lithium Power Wall for storing such PV produced power and smarter inverters that will prioritize solar energy than battery energy and finally resort back to grid power.

The size of installation will be 4kw. During the summer season it should provide all the necessary energy for home air-conditioning plus plus. After sunset we well be back on the grid. (for now) Just the thought of cooling or heating via solar energy is amazing.

I know that most will be thinking that grid tie should be what we need BUT. I've applied and spoke with the local distributing company numerous times and still (We have power line constraints that won't allow any interconnect).

The solar pergola will be made from stainless steel that has been already collected at bargain price when it popped up. This structure will NOT BLOW AWAY. It is also in keeping with the architecture of the home.

The tubing and sheet stock have already in earnest been machined and cut to be assembled soon before the cold weather.

One of the most neat things that had presented itself was 250 watt panels that are double glass. This allows light through between the cells like leaves on a tree. It should look very cool.

Assembly should progress in the next 2-3 weeks

Randen

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	150920_002 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	968
Size:	372.0 KB
ID:	5892   Click image for larger version

Name:	150920_003 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	952
Size:	321.3 KB
ID:	5893   Click image for larger version

Name:	150920_004 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	983
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	5894   Click image for larger version

Name:	150920_005 (1024x768).jpg
Views:	976
Size:	360.5 KB
ID:	5895  

Last edited by Daox; 09-23-15 at 08:36 AM..
randen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-15, 08:57 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Very cool. I'm looking forward to updates and pictures.

Just to be clear, you're running a battery system, right?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-15, 10:32 PM   #3
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

You are relentless.

-AC
Old 09-24-15, 11:44 AM   #4
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Daox

Yes the battery system will provide electrical energy after the sun has set. The inverters with the smart tech are suppose to do this seamlessly. During the day the Solar supplying power to the home plus charge the batteries, then after the sun sets battery power. If that is exhausted, back on the grid. The battery system will be huge dollars and the ROI may be a long time. I believe for me that the lithium tech is the only way to go. But time will tell

As we cannot grid tie this is our option. And possibly a good one as there are costs associated with grid-tie monthly service fees.

This install will give us a good idea to what is possible with regards to net zero.

Randen
Old 09-28-15, 09:30 PM   #5
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

The work is progressing on the solar pergola. All the parts are made and are out for welding. Some smaller items for fastening the panels need to be turned however it more important to getting the structure erected.

Research is going on to procuring off grid smart inverters. However all that's turning up is lead-acid type systems. The Power-wall (Lithium) presented by Tesla is high voltage equipment. 300-450 Volt DC. This is highly desirable for a off-grid system. But contemporary manufactures have max voltages for lead acid based systems of 48 VDC which would require large cabling still resulting in greater power losses.

Some people have experimented with Grid-tie inverters utilizing sine wave generators to bring them into operation supplying 240 VAC which can then be used to charge the lithium batteries via an off the shelf charger with proper charge profiles.

I believe this will be the route I may follow. A pure sine wave generator sinking up a inverter that will power the home while the sun shines. After which the next step will be the installation of batteries. The batteries will charge during the day-light hours and then power the load after the sun has set.

The drawing is the side profile of the pergola. Hopefully we can get it up and covered with panels before the cold wind starts.

Randen
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Solarpergola.pdf (76.0 KB, 563 views)
Old 10-08-15, 09:55 PM   #6
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Thought I would present everyone with a teaser.

The welding shop has been extremely busy and was using my job as a fill in. The young apprentice is quite excited about the project. The journey men set him up and the young man is very careful in TIG welding the stainless just as the more experienced men set out.

The owner of the shop is the most accomplished welder I know. I have met men that weld structural tubing for aircraft and they would only be able to pack this mans lunch. His work in stainless would be comparable to jewelry.

This will be a large weld-ment for the shop by their typical work but it will work out nice. The pieces are large and heavy but we wish it this way to remain in place in spite of the Canadian winter wind.

Some research into inverters and system controls but nothing set in stone yet. I'm looking into high voltage 350V plus for string inverters charging a lithium battery pack. Higher voltage keeps the losses lower.

Hopefully we can have the assembly up within the next couple weeks, I don't like working outside in the cold weather.

Randen
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	151008_001.jpg
Views:	522
Size:	246.4 KB
ID:	6034  
Old 10-08-15, 10:51 PM   #7
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

Congrats on the solar.

Check out this project it might interest you.
Plan: Off grid solar with a Model S battery pack at the heart

Someone just posted this.
Use of Nissan Leaf battery in Solar installation.
http://www.mynissanleaf.com/viewtopic.php?t=17879

I love the look of those panels.

http://skie.net/showthread.php?9-Pla...k-at-the-heart

Last edited by pinballlooking; 02-17-16 at 08:21 PM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-15, 01:02 PM   #8
randen
Uber EcoRenovator

Pinballooking

Thanks for the link it just the sort off thread or individual I was looking for. It seem as he has accomplished his goal. Net zero!! Hopefully more of us can get there.

Randen
Old 10-09-15, 01:13 PM   #9
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

He has a huge system.

I just love the idea of repurposing EV car batteries to work with solar. There are going to be a big supply of them from Leafs and Volts that will no longer work in a car but that will be great for solar home use.

By that time by grid tie grandfather clause will be done and they will charge me a bigger fee to stay connected to the grid.
I will hopefully end my tie with them at that point.

I will be following your project.
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-15, 07:47 AM   #10
gasstingy
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by randen View Post
Some research into inverters and system controls but nothing set in stone yet. I'm looking into high voltage 350V plus for string inverters charging a lithium battery pack. Higher voltage keeps the losses lower.
Randen
Just a thought on this 350V you are looking for. My large array is 24 x 240W Sharp panels wired into two strings of 12. The Sunny Boy inverter regularly shows the system at 358V. Don't know how this would relate to what you are planning, but I'm rooting for your success.

I really like your plan, and I know people who do it as you're planning {at least as my imagination says you are planning it}. They have their off-grid system and the utilty connection and it is where the solar array cannot backfeed the grid. They simply put a transfer switch between the main breaker box and the grid. They feed the breaker box all of the time by their {nickel type} battery system and when the sun isn't enough to keep the batteries charged, they flip the transfer switch so the grid powers their home and the other charger that replenishes the battery bank.

gasstingy is offline   Reply With Quote