EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Old 11-26-08, 07:11 AM   #1
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Modification to enclosed radiators

I think I mentioned before that almost all the radiators in my house are enclosed in, well, for the most part, very nice enclosures.

But, they block a lot of the heat, or at least everything from the top, and I can't just remove the enclosures because of 1) carpet 2) the walls were completed AFTER the enclosures were built.

so i've been thinking about just cutting a hole in the tops of em, putting a grate there or something, but couldn't think of anything thick enough to keep the cat from falling though and looked nice enough to bother.

Then a friend suggested Heat Register Cover. That was a DUH moment for me. I've never dealt w/ central air, but did know these things existed. So, we ran out to Lowes, picked out a design, and i got to work...

How it looked before I did anything. (The fake brick wall doesn't go behind the cover, so it would look like *** if i just removed the enclosure)

So, they did what they were supposed to, they let out the heat this morning.

Now, this wasn't cheap. Those grates are ~$15/each (they range from $5-$25 depending on the look) and I have 3 covers that i'm putting two each, and another cover that I'm doing one. But, at least it gives me SOME practicality while keeping a decent look.

insaneintenti0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 07:18 AM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Looks pretty good IMO. I bet it lets off a ton more heat too!

On another note, I've always wondered why they never put thermally activated fans behind radiators like that. You'd think that would make it way more efficient than relying on convection.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 07:58 AM   #3
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

My wife was telling me yesterday that someone told her they DO put a fan in front of radiators to blow the heat out.

It can't be that hard to do... though, that is more electricity you're burning in the process.

The covers themselves do get quite warm to the touch. Hopefully that's not a HUGE issue, since the bottom portion of em are plastic. Not metal, but I doubt it's hot enough to melt it.

Funny that the ad on my post is for radiator covers...
Colors Furniture
Old 11-26-08, 08:41 AM   #4
Caffe
ECO Blogger & DIY'er

Send a message via MSN to Caffe

Nice work!
How did they think when they put a large wooden box around the radiator?
(But I'll guess its common in homes everywhere, except where I live...)

Caffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-08, 10:24 AM   #5
insaneintenti0n
Apprentice EcoRenovator

well, it had the front grate, so some heat came out... but i guess the science of heat rising was beyond them

Actually, those covers have easily been there for 15 years, maybe more... and at that point and time, if you wanted heat, you just turned on the thermostat until you were toasty. now, with gas prices, i need to get ever last bit of heat i can.

my gas & elec meters were read today, hopefully i have a number by friday to see how bad things are. this was definitely a cold november.
Old 12-06-08, 12:39 AM   #6
knowbodies
Home Improvement Goon

Considering the style of the walls (1970s?), I can't imagine the wall behind the radiator is insulated very well. Do you have room to place something reflective behind the radiator? Something like foil covered polyisocyanurate insulation might help to insulate and reflect the heat into the room where it's needed.

knowbodies is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
radiator