EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Other Improvements
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-04-10, 10:01 PM   #1
toolingjim
Believer in Progress

Default Can Roofing Improve Insulation?

I will be having a new roof installed in the spring. It will be a complete tearoff with new valley and ice damming flashing. I have not installed a roof in over 20 years, so I need to know if there are new roofing products that will improve the energy efficiency or longevity of the roofing. The roof will be installed on a brick ranch house, 1300 sq. ft. with attached 2 1/2 car garage. Can anyone tell me what to look for in improved roofing since the last time I looked (1988)?

Old 12-05-10, 02:48 AM   #2
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

On my side of the pond, one of the possiblities for roofing is styrofoam mated with tar shingles:

Styrofoam has an R-value of 3.2-4 (molded) or 3.6-5 (extruded).

I've seen metal roofs insulated with styrofoam or mineral wool.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	styropapa.jpg
Views:	2144
Size:	10.8 KB
ID:	1112  
Old 12-05-10, 10:55 AM   #3
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

There are energy star rated shingles out there and even tax credits for using them, they tend to be very light in color, snow has an R value of R-1 per inch so a light colored roof that keeps snow is going to help to insulate your house.
It really depends on your house and the style of roof venting you have, your insulation should be in your attic and your roof should stay vented, if you have a finished attic or an up stars where there is little to no venting between the ceiling and the roof then you might have a hot roof.
With the snow, look at your roof for any areas that are melting already as those areas are going to need extra attention and are also going to be where you will find water damage from ice dams.
If you can afford to, steel roofs are the way I would go, they last 100+ years, they are 100% recyclable, they are quick to install, they take care of ice dam issues in most cases, they reduce snow load by letting it slide off, they also allow you to add ridged foam right under the steel, if you do have a case where you have a hot roof, then for sure use this type of roof.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 11:55 AM   #4
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

with that foam mated right to the tar shingles does that mean you throw away the insulation when you replace the roof? Seems like a huge waste if so.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 02:36 PM   #5
Piwoslaw
Super Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by strider3700 View Post
with that foam mated right to the tar shingles does that mean you throw away the insulation when you replace the roof? Seems like a huge waste if so.
I guess so, but that technology has only been around for 6-8 years, so it hasn't needed replacing yet. Most houses here with tar shingles aren't more than 40-50 years old, and the standard procedure when reroofing is to just add another layer of shingles every 20-30 years, and to pour a layer of tar every 5-15 years. Most new houses built in the last 10-15 years have a metal roof on top of tar shingles (with an air space in between), and foam or mineral wool insulation on the inside.

ToolingJim - Whatever the reroofing and insulating method you choose, remember to leave some room for a solar panels

Last edited by Piwoslaw; 12-05-10 at 02:40 PM..
Piwoslaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-10, 03:15 PM   #6
Patrick
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piwoslaw View Post
ToolingJim - Whatever the reroofing and insulating method you choose, remember to leave some room for a solar panels
Speaking of that - standing seam metal roofs are ideal for PV installations.
They have mounts available that just clamp to the seams. Quick and easy and no roof penetrations.
Patrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-14, 05:13 PM   #7
wildwoodroof

Cool roofs refer to roofs that are cool in both senses of the word. Lighter in color than traditional black asphalt or dark wood shingles, cool roofs save energy by reflecting light and heat away rather than absorbing both. The attic is usually the top priority because installing insulation there is easy and provides immediate benefits. Sustainable Roofing Materials the right roofing material could result in as much as a 30 percent decrease in your home’s energy needs.