EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-14-15, 08:51 PM   #1
mechanic
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Default Gotta love getting a bill like this!

We only get read once a year and then they estimate my monthly billing for the rest. First year ended around $325 a month then I started getting looking into my usage and trying to get it lower. The next year (part of it with changes made) I got a cheque for $900 and they changed my payment to $278. Just got this years and I got a credit for $750. So it looks like my yearly average was about $215 per month (this despite adding a 6 man hot tub 4 months ago). So all in all I've more than recouped my investment in less than two years and there are plenty of poor efficiency areas to deal with yet

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	769
Size:	167.6 KB
ID:	6081  

Last edited by Daox; 10-15-15 at 03:54 PM..
mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-15, 11:22 PM   #2
natethebrown
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Personally, I find that kind of payment method annoying and possibly underhandedly devious. On one hand, I understand the reasoning to have less folks miss payments. The devious part is they might get a large surplus of money built up from the folks that never miss a payment, then they get to invest the money instead of the customer. In a sense, you are giving your utility company a free loan.

Back to the topic at hand. Awesome! It is always nice to see the power bills go down. My wife and I budget around $200 per month for utilities and any left over or over spent is carried over to the next month (we use Mint.com). As of right now, we have around $120 surplus year.
natethebrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-15, 11:08 AM   #3
mechanic
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Ya it's kind of annoying but we live on a farm so that's how they do it. Anyone in cities/towns get regular readings. I could probably phone them in if I wanted I suppose... They did a trial with smart meters but a bunch caught fire and they pulled them all out again.

mechanic is offline   Reply With Quote