EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-10-15, 08:48 AM   #1
Daox
Administrator

Default Help get furnace running, basement flooded

So, I get home from work last night to 18" of water in my basement. The sump pump didn't kick on (the float switch stuck) and it had been raining all day long. I waded through the very cold water, jiggled the float switch, and it kicked on. 3 hours later, I was down there inspecting things and trying to get the furnace running again. Part of the control board had been submerged. I'm not sure exactly how high the water got, perhaps some of the blower motor was submerged as well.

Thankfully, its not super cold out right now so I have some time to get it running.

Anyway, I'd very much appreciate some help getting this thing running again. Here is what happens, it almost works... The exhaust fan kicks on, the igniter powers up, the gas valve kicks on and it fires up. Everything is good until this point. Then I hear the relay click for the main blower fan to kick on and nothing happens. So, I assume that something in the blower motor circuit is bad. In my mind that means a bad motor, bad capacitor, or the relay that I hear click is actually not working correctly. I haven't been able to test any of the components yet. Testing the relay to make sure it is sending power to the motor will be the next step pending any additional info you guys can provide.

Here are a few pics. I think the water came up a bit beyond the bottom of the control board, but not real far up. Unfortunately, the bottom of the control board is where all the relays are.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150409_223753.jpg
Views:	1133
Size:	108.6 KB
ID:	5130   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20150409_223500.jpg
Views:	918
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	5131  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-15, 10:56 AM   #2
gtojohn
Journeyman EcoRenovator

probably the board its the weakest link. Try "fan on" on the thermostat to see if the blower kicks on. Usually this is a different relay. If that works you can temporarily change the thermostat over to electric heat and it will do this automatically. Does the flame stay on for a minute or more before shutting down like overheating, or does it shut off after about 3-5 seconds, flame not sensed. Looks like your board is new enough to flash you some error codes. You can test the motor by jumping a motor tap to hot.
gtojohn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gtojohn For This Useful Post:
Daox (04-10-15), Servicetech (04-11-15)
Old 04-10-15, 12:16 PM   #3
Daox
Administrator

Thanks John. I'll try those suggestions!

&
Old 04-10-15, 04:52 PM   #4
Daox
Administrator

Oh yeah, the flame does stay on for maybe 15 seconds or so. I don't think its a problem with the flame not being detected.

Yeah, the board has an LED. It blinks once the blower fan fails to start. The exhaust fan stays on and it goes through its cycle again.

&
Old 04-10-15, 07:43 PM   #5
Daox
Administrator

Thanks a ton gtojohn. That got me up and running for now.

Looking on ebay, it looks like a new control board is about $35. So, I think I'll just go that route.

&
The Following User Says Thank You to Daox For This Useful Post:
Servicetech (04-11-15)
Old 04-29-15, 12:17 PM   #6
Daox
Administrator

Quick little update. After I got the fan going with gtojohn's suggestion, the control board must have dried up enough. Its working fine and I have a spare now if anything happens.

Thanks for the help!

&