EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lighting
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-12-14, 05:31 PM   #21
celblazer
Helper EcoRenovator

Have you tried eliminating the dimmer just to test to see if the lights still buzz loud enough to bother you? If you temp replace it with a regular switch and the buzz goes away you know it's the dimmer if it doesn't it's not.

celblazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-14, 08:02 AM   #22
Daox
Administrator

Nope! I haven't done that. Sounds like a good idea though.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-14, 01:33 PM   #23
Daox
Administrator

Well, I got the dimmer switch last night. No time to put it in. I'll do that tonight and report back.

Has nobody else had issues with LEDs buzzing?

&
Old 03-20-14, 08:55 PM   #24
Daox
Administrator

I gave the new dimmer a shot. Still buzzes just as loud as with any of the other dimmer switches... I also wired it up to a non-dimmer switch. It does quiet it down, but its still too loud in my opinion.

I've emailed Sylvania again with the update.

&

Last edited by Daox; 03-21-14 at 11:07 AM..
Old 05-13-14, 09:38 AM   #25
Daox
Administrator

Yesterday I removed the lights and returned them. I ran out of time with their 90 day return policy. I'll be looking for another light now. I loved the lights, the color and efficiency, but the buzzing was just too much. Even without the dimmer in the circuit, it was too loud.

&
Old 05-13-14, 10:13 AM   #26
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I bet you would like these I have been using them about a year now and they work well.

The can LED lights I have make no noise at all when you dim them. I have one on a very old fashion rotary dimmer and it still does not make noise.

EcoSmart 6 in. 9.5-Watt (65W) Soft White (2700K) Dimmable LED Downlight-ECO-575L at The Home Depot

These look the same.
4 EcoSmart CREE CR6 Recessed 9 5 Watt 65 w LED Downlight Dimmable 625 Lumens | eBay
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-14, 10:55 AM   #27
Daox
Administrator

Yeah, those look good. I looked at them before when you suggested them but I couldn't get them through home depot online or locally. I looked on amazon and they were more expensive, I think around $35/ea. I'll have to email that ebay seller and see if I can get 6 of them. Thanks.

&
Old 08-15-14, 06:15 PM   #28
ICanHas
Banned

Do not buy anything that is not Energy Star rated. This is because part of the Energy Star label requirements for LED bulbs is that they MUST have a 3 year or longer warranty and they're also subject to performance testing.

http://www.energystar.gov/ia/partner...quirements.pdf
ICanHas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-14, 09:10 AM   #29
Daox
Administrator

If you hadn't noticed, the bulbs were energy star rated.

&
Old 08-18-14, 09:38 AM   #30
ICanHas
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
If you hadn't noticed, the bulbs were energy star rated.
It was a general advise. If you stick with Energy Star, that means 3 year warranty or better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daox View Post
My question is, would you guys buy LED fixtures to go in the 6" cans, or would you just use the normal fixtures and put LED screw based bulbs in?
LED "bulbs" generally have the same issues as CFLs. I would not use "bulbs" unless you can keep them naked. They must cool by convection. LED fixtures or a screw in bulb with a permanent metal brim/flange that's part of the bulb is much better, because the decorative metal parts in contact with room air is thermally bonded to LED dies.

Fixtures that's closed off on one-end is considered "semi-enclosed" and if the gap between the edge is small and the can itself is insulation contacting, you have a very good chance of premature failure.

With the metal brim type, the air flow across the brim actually cools it.

ICanHas is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bulb, led, light