EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-08-14, 10:48 AM   #11
SDMCF
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Servicetech View Post
Your meter MUST be able to report use based on time of day back to the utility.
Yes, my meter knows how much I use (and reports that to the utility company) but it doesn't know how much that usage will cost me. I need to get cost information from the internet.

It sounds like your prices are less volatile than mine. Mine changes on the hour, every hour, in an unpredictable manner.

SDMCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 10:55 AM   #12
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Send a message via Yahoo to jeff5may

Im working on a sketch for a universal heat pump and temperature controller in another thread. I'm having issues with the way to read and store multiple one wire sensors. Can you elaborate on the method you're using? I'm trying to save as much memory as possible.
jeff5may is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-14, 01:46 PM   #13
Ormston
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikesolar View Post
Hmmm, wonder if there is a clamp on version that does 100A +-. I had thought about keeping generated current going to the grid only until it reaches parity, then charging the battery with the excess. One place I am working has a meter that will not reverse so if you pump power to the grid it still counts it as consumed energy and the customer gets charged......Trying to find a way around it.
The BI Directional requirement is because it's AC current, has nothing to do with import/export.

The library I mentioned does measure import/export using a single 100A ct exactly as you need, to do this it also needs to measure the voltage using a AC/AC transformer at the same time.
If you look round openenergymonitor.org you will find people have built solar diverters.

Steve
Ormston is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ormston For This Useful Post:
Mikesolar (10-08-14)
Old 10-09-14, 02:00 AM   #14
SDMCF
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff5may View Post
Im working on a sketch for a universal heat pump and temperature controller in another thread. I'm having issues with the way to read and store multiple one wire sensors. Can you elaborate on the method you're using? I'm trying to save as much memory as possible.
If you are trying to save as much memory as possible you are probably more advanced than I am because I am not concerned with optimising anything yet. So I can't claim any memory efficiency for my code.

I tried (and failed) with a couple of different approaches to the 1-wire stuff before I found Arduino 1-Wire Tutorial which I was able to use.

The libraries I use are OneWire.h version 2.1 and DallasTemperature.h version 3.7.2

A sketch called Multiple.ino supplied with the DalasTemperature library works as expected with 0, 1 or 2 sensors. I have not tried using more than 2 sensors.

The supplied sketch has hard-coded device addresses which is not ideal, but it will get you started.

I am currently using code that finds the device addresses and resolutions of all sensors attached to the 1-wire bus, which is better. I can post that code at the weekend if you want it.

However, I still have the names of my devices hard-coded, so I have to know which one will be found first in order to correctly identify them as fridge or freezer. Eventually I will make it possible to assign temperature sensor locations via the user interface, but I am not at that stage yet.
Old 10-09-14, 06:28 PM   #15
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

Due to the low pin count and onboard memory of the Uno, doing anything really elaborate with the data structure or interface will quickly gobble up all available memory. I'm trying to save RAM for the processor, buffers, and temporary variables as much as possible to avoid ugly things from happening. Plus, it saves more space for vital functionality and expansion later.

The controller, being universal and robust, should be able to find and track as many one wire sensors as the end user cares to connect. I am having no trouble with only one sensor, but with multiple sensors, I am looking for some code that can grab the addresses and data and write the values to an array or a matrix or something. Once the values are sorted and written somewhere, it will be easy for me (or someone smarter) to assign, log, display, and do other operations to them.

Any code you can post or link to would be highly appreciated.

What I'm finding in this (arduino) realm is just a google of snippets of code that call other modules or libraries to do most of the actual work. While this approach is OK for a device that only does one or two things, it's not very robust. It also ties up a whole lot of real estate on the chip, making the program run slower.
Old 10-09-14, 11:45 PM   #16
SDMCF
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
I am having no trouble with only one sensor, but with multiple sensors, I am looking for some code that can grab the addresses and data and write the values to an array or a matrix or something.
I have code that does this. I will post it later today or tomorrow when I am at home, but ...
Quote:
What I'm finding in this (arduino) realm is just a google of snippets of code that call other modules or libraries to do most of the actual work. While this approach is OK for a device that only does one or two things, it's not very robust. It also ties up a whole lot of real estate on the chip, making the program run slower.
I prefer to take the library approach. I guess our goals are different. I know how much work it takes to create custom code that is as robust as a reputable library, and I am not particularly constrained by chip real estate or speed. For me the library approach makes sense.
Old 10-10-14, 01:22 AM   #17
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator

Quote:
Due to the low pin count and onboard memory of the Uno, doing anything really elaborate with the data structure or interface will quickly gobble up all available memory. I'm trying to save RAM for the processor, buffers, and temporary variables as much as possible to avoid ugly things from happening. Plus, it saves more space for vital functionality and expansion later.

The controller, being universal and robust, should be able to find and track as many one wire sensors as the end user cares to connect. I am having no trouble with only one sensor, but with multiple sensors, I am looking for some code that can grab the addresses and data and write the values to an array or a matrix or something. Once the values are sorted and written somewhere, it will be easy for me (or someone smarter) to assign, log, display, and do other operations to them.

Any code you can post or link to would be highly appreciated.

This guy made an open source Arduino data-logger which would handle multiple 1-wire devices.

Perhaps his source code could be useful for this project.

-AC
jeff5may (10-10-14)
Old 10-13-14, 11:00 AM   #18
jeff5may
Supreme EcoRenovator

SDMCF,

Yes, if I was using a mega with a few additional shields, it would be much easier. In a future project, this might happen. For this project, a uno with hardly nothing else is specified. Very few libraries, an LCD keypad for user control, optional USB/serial interface, a 4-channel relay shield to manage high-power devices, and some sensors is all this controller will have in its basic form. The main objective is to specify a small "kit" to work with, and have some sketches that will just load and work.

As a matter of fact, someone has already mentioned counting power pulses from smart meters (via the visible flashing LED) to monitor usage as dependable and reliable. Just search and browse....

AC,

Thank you very much for pointing me towards that code! I've heard you talking about that little logger stamp before, but I didn't know it was able to assign and store 1-wire sensors like it does. Having skimmed through the source code, I believe I can adapt some gems in it for the uno-based stamp. From the structure and comments, it's obvious a lot of work was put into the source code. I hope I can glean something from it without screwing it up...

Last edited by jeff5may; 10-13-14 at 04:07 PM..
Old 10-18-14, 07:22 AM   #19
SDMCF
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Sorry, been away. Expected to be back last Saturday but was only home for a couple of hours before rushing out again, so here I am a week later. Should be static for a while now. Do you still want a look at my sensor code? I'll put it up if so.

I had seen stuff about monitoring the flashes from the meter to count electricity usage. It sounds nice and I have bought a sensor to try that sometime, but it isn't what I want to do in this project. Here, I just want to monitor the power used by the devices which my controller controls, rather than all the power used in the house.