EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Lawn and Garden
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-03-11, 01:05 PM   #1
bennelson
Home-Wrecker

Default Seed Germination

Hi Everyone.

I am an amatuer gardener. VERY amatuer. As in, I really don't know what I am doing, but I don't let that stop me!

Anywhoo! We just had a big snowstorm here in the midwest, and it's making me long for the days that I can go outside and do just about anything I want.

I found some old seeds and thought I would test them out, see if they are still living. I simply wrote on paper towel the name of the seed, got the towel wet, put the seeds on it, and put the whole thing in a plastic bag.

That was only two nights ago, and some of the seeds have sprouted already!

I have an LED light strip above my laundry tub to keep my filter plants happy. Perhaps it wouldn't be so hard to convert my laundry water filtration system into a seedling growing area?

See my post on my household blog.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
bennelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 02:02 AM   #2
Arkaneinc
Lurking Renovator

not bad at all. Reminds me of my apple tree. I got it planted it and watered it for a while and forgot about it for 6-7 months I replanted it somewhere else as an experiment and have kept up a watering schedule and it's blooming. Plants, trees and seeds can be resilient
Arkaneinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-11, 04:58 PM   #3
RobertSmalls
Journeyman EcoRenovator

Are you going to plant them now, or scrap them out?

I tried germinating a test run of the tomato seeds I saved, in December, but it got too cold in my stairwell. My old catnip seeds sprouted, then went dormant, and there's no activity from the tomatoes.

I found a germination tray that looks like an egg carton, made of compressed peat and paper. $2 for 24 germination cups. I'll start my tomatoes in those, so I can avoid any transplant shock when I move them outside. So... how long does it take a tomato to grow large enough to fill a cubic inch germination cup?

RobertSmalls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
filter, grow light, seeds