EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Biofuels
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-17-11, 04:07 AM   #1
The master plan
Helper EcoRenovator

Default Firewood prices??

I don't know what the going price is...I don't believe in paying for firewood...I get mine from farmers groves or downed trees after a good storm. Other times people just need a tree cut down and don't have the money or tools. But I saw this in the paper last night at work..

WOW! I thought when it was $160 a few years back was high. This is in central MN.

I've had farmers tell me not to take the Basswood because is so poor for burning...$300 a cord??

Oak is getting real hard to find...Ash will be very plentiful if the bug comes here. It will change the entire landscape in the town I live in...would be very sad to see realy.

Elm is still killing trees and they will be hard to find soon.

Would love to try Ironwood or even coal, but they are impossible to find. Our power plant/district heating here in town burns coal, but it is the finer stuff. Don't you need bigger clumps to burn in stoves?

The master plan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 09:13 AM   #2
Ryland
Master EcoRenovator

We burn rice coal at work, the feed for it is like a pellet stove only heavier castings because it burns hotter, to burn coal in a wood stove you should really have a fire brick liner.
My parents haven't bought fire wood for a while, but last time they did, about 3 years back, it was $700 or so for 8 cords worth of red oak logs, now they just burn dead elm trees off their property.
People often think of heating with wood as "free heat" but when you look at buying wood or even just your time, gasoline and need to own a chainsaw, it can be a costly way to heat your house, lucky for my parents I've done a fair amount of work on their house, adding insulation, replacing windows, replacing their wood furnace with a better model and they've cut back on their wood use by nearly half.
Ryland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-11, 11:37 AM   #3
strider3700
Master EcoRenovator

Two good cords of split dry fir cost me $180 each in the last couple of weeks. It's a bit of a rip off but worked out to cheaper to buy and do paying work for a weekend rather then me go off and cut/split wet stuff and pay $30/load.
strider3700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-11, 01:06 PM   #4
The master plan
Helper EcoRenovator

I have an old Sears wood & Coal Circulator. I've added a water heat loop inside for a 60 gal water heater. I'd like to get a wood furnace, but my house is small (500sf) and this thing cooks me out in the winter at times. Maybe make/buy a wood gasification boiler?? Does anyone have or know someone with one of those or similar?

The master plan is offline   Reply With Quote