Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 07-03-16, 09:17 AM   #1
SentinelAeon
Lurking Renovator

Default Cooling down mansard apartment

Hi,

I have a few questions about cooling my small mansard apartment without AC. As you can see on an image i posted, i have 2 windows on same side, i have kitchen exhaust (hood) that i have been using to remove hot air, and there is another exhaust in the bathroom where i could mount a small 140mm (4,7 inch) fan to draw air out.

because this is my first post i cannot post images, here is the link:

i65.tinypic.com/8vxi7n.jpg

1) I have 2 quite big table fans that i put on windows, what would be the best setup for them, both blowing in, 1 blowing in, 1 out, etc. ?

2) I know that it takes a lot of cold air to cool down that big mass of bricks in walls but still. The apartment heats up so fast, even on first hot day it becomes hot fast. And then when it is cold outside it takes hours and hours to cool it down and as soon as i stop the fans and close the windows it gets hot again. Anything i can do to cool down more efficiently ?

3) In my country there is usualy about 5 hot days and then it will get cool for a few days and then hot again. I was wondering, if i were to use a lot of water (in bottles), and make sure i cool them down during the cold period, would that help in keeping my apartment cool for a while longer ? It would probably take a lot of water in bottles of barrels but would it help ?

4) I have a nice small water pump and 2 big window shelfs that are about 70x70 cm each (27.5 x 27.5 inch) and are covered in some kind of metal sheet. Since fans are doing a bad job at cooling the apartment, i was wondering, what if i were to use water to cool down apartment ? I can pour water on window shelf and then pump this water into an inside barrel full of water and create a loop. How would that work ?

SentinelAeon is offline   Reply With Quote