EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-14-18, 12:01 PM   #41
ctgottapee
Helper EcoRenovator

Nice
Part of the savings comes from the maintenance costs too. Natural gas equipment isn't DYI friendly and has a bit more burden on diff tools, etc.
But if you need it for other things, or have sig overall usage the savings might be small in the big picture, especially since it's a more effecient heat source $ wise and will likely remain that way for some time.

Also some electric utility rebates require they be the main source for heat in the fine print, although they don't verify it too often.

ctgottapee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-18, 01:01 PM   #42
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I had to buy a sump pump to get the water out of the trench. Lowes had one that was on close out it was $215 then $121 then $84 and I get a 10% VA discount.
That thing can move some water in 5 ˝ hours I pumped out 12,000 gallons of water.

My tractor is working hard. I have moved about 75% of the dirt. I spent all day on the tractor yesterday.
They over dug both trenches so I have 440 cubic yards to move. That is a lot of dirt to move with a 4’ front end loader.
It is raining again today and tomorrow. I am still getting it done.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20181214_090631.jpg
Views:	1047
Size:	149.0 KB
ID:	8450   Click image for larger version

Name:	20181214_090806.jpg
Views:	1049
Size:	120.2 KB
ID:	8451  

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-21-18 at 10:31 AM..
pinballlooking is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pinballlooking For This Useful Post:
Daox (12-18-18)
Old 12-17-18, 06:59 PM   #43
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I just picked up my new Geothermal unit at the trucking terminal. Dropped off the old one to have it shipped back.

I found a Metal work shop that specializes in HVAC. They will make the plenum and supply duct work. They can do same day or next day service.

I bought mastic screws and code approved foil tape.

I have about 80% of the dirt filled back in. The weather has not been helpful lots of rain but I am still getting it done.

This tank should be a Great buffer tank.
Marathon Water Heaters cut in ˝

High Efficiency
• Two-and-a-half inches of polyurethane foam insulation
minimizes stand-by heat loss allowing only 5°F loss in 24
hours - saves money on the homeowner’s energy bill

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-18-18, 09:49 AM   #44
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The Metal work shop that specializes in HVAC duct work also does HVAC work. They are coming to give me a quote to take the old natural gas unit out and put in the new Geothermal in.

They would just do ductwork I would do the rest. The Geo unit is 359 pounds so I have not totally given up on subbing this part out.
Before work today I used my tractor to fill in the trench some more.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-18-18, 09:50 AM   #45
djastram
Lurking Renovator

My house is 123 year old farm house. It is about 1400 sq ft. It is well insulated. The HP will keep the house warm until about 10F and then my NG furnace needs to supplement.

I sized it for 80% heating to try and prevent cooling issues due to short cycling. It keeps the house cool in the summer, but my humidity is too high. Even on stage 1, the hp doesn't run long enough to pull down the humidity.

I have considered putting an APR on the HP for reduced capacity in cooling mode, but haven't got that done yet.
djastram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-18, 08:20 AM   #46
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The loops are charged with water and antifreeze. They are holding pressure.

I have probably 98% air out I just have the manifold looped back into its self at this point.
I have about 20’ of trench open to the house that I can now start filling back in.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-19-18, 07:05 PM   #47
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

The manifold was mounted to a main house floor support. It was transmitting the pump sound into my son’s bedroom.

I took the bolts out the house support and added 4x4 post. One main 4x4 post that will be cemented in then two small ones.
This is a free-standing support so the pump noise is transmitting into the ground. I will add some insulation later and you will probably not even hear it.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-20-18, 01:31 PM   #48
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I got my quote back today. They wanted 3K to take out natural gas heater and put in Geo unit just connect it to the duct work.
I do everything else.

I will start taking out the natural gas heater tonight.

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Old 12-20-18, 10:59 PM   #49
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I took out the natural gas heater and AC coil. I had to take down a hard supply line to get it all out. I used PVC pipe and rolled it out of the crawl space by myself. that worked well.
That is how I will get that 360 pound Geo unit under there.

Natural gas line is caped off.

I have everything measured to put my order it for the return box and supply box. I ordered some anti vibration pads.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a picture of my manifold.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20181220_215249.jpg
Views:	1494
Size:	48.7 KB
ID:	8453  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -

Last edited by pinballlooking; 12-21-18 at 08:42 AM..
Fordguy64 (12-21-18)
Old 12-21-18, 08:33 AM   #50
pinballlooking
Super Moderator

I am just having a new plenum made and a transition to my old supply duct all insulated.

I pick it up later today. I was quoted for about $300 not to bad.
So far I am glad I am doing his part myself.

This is my current plenum I am just replacing this.
The new plenum is 34" 1/4 by 18" 1/4

The old supply. I am just getting a transition made to connect to this one to the Geo unit.

Geo Supply

Geo return.

Attached Thumbnails

Name:	ReturnCurrent.jpg
Views:	996
Size:	92.2 KB
ID:	8454   Click image for larger version

Name:	Supply.jpg
Views:	984
Size:	84.5 KB
ID:	8455   Click image for larger version

Name:	SupplyGeo.jpg
Views:	980
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	8456   Click image for larger version

Name:	ReturnGeo.jpg
Views:	967
Size:	84.3 KB
ID:	8457  

Solar Install 12.5 Kwh-

Mini Split installs -

EV Chevy Volt -
Daox (12-21-18)