EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Conservation
Advanced Search
 


Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


 
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-30-13, 03:16 PM   #1
AC_Hacker
Supreme EcoRenovator
 
AC_Hacker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Portland, OR
Posts: 4,004
Thanks: 303
Thanked 723 Times in 534 Posts
Default Whole-House Sensors...

I've been wanting to install 1-wire sensors in every room of my house in order to study how heat affects my house and how it moves through the house in the winter.

I finally got it working.

!-wire sensors are very accurate and if you get them direct from China, they're real cheap ($1/ea). They are meant to be wired in as parallel sensors, and a micro=controller can query them, and since they each have a unique number, the micro-controller can keep it straight, which data is arriving from each sensor... pretty cool.

I installed a sensor in each room of my house (7 rooms, including basement) at about the same height (4').

I won't elaborate on the work of installing the string except to say that they are designed to be in a serial topography. I decided to try some branching, to see how it worked (saved a lot of wire), and I didn't run into problems, probably because my house is so small.

But the last sensor is of interest because it is mounted outside in the weather, and the sensor needed to be protected from wet and also from bugs.

Below is the pile of parts, all standard plumbing, 1/2" CPVC

Above is the 1-wire sensor mounted to a tiny board to make assembly easy


Below is the floor flange and the pipe-thread to CPVC adapter

Above, I am making sure the flange will fit flat to the house.


Below is the flange securely screwed (coated screws) to the house.

Above is the cable threaded through the "T" connector.


Below, the "T" connector is correctly positioned and screwed to the house

Above, I am drilling a weep hole that will let water pass through but not bugs


Below, the end cap is glued into place

Above, I am drilling small holes in the pipe for the 1-wire sensor


Below, I am checking the pin-out of the 1-wire against my notes

Above I have soldered the 1-wire to the cable


Below, I am verifying that the new sensor is working

Above, now that I know it works, I glue the top into place


Below is the first test of the sensors fifteen minutes, fifteen readings.

I suspect that he large excursion is because of handling (prior to final assembly).

Working OK!

Best,

-AC

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1.jpg
Views:	1223
Size:	86.3 KB
ID:	3253   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image2.jpg
Views:	1135
Size:	73.0 KB
ID:	3254   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image3.jpg
Views:	1124
Size:	73.4 KB
ID:	3255   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image4.jpg
Views:	1136
Size:	62.7 KB
ID:	3256   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image5.jpg
Views:	1134
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	3257  

Click image for larger version

Name:	Image6.jpg
Views:	1065
Size:	78.3 KB
ID:	3258   Click image for larger version

Name:	Image7.jpg
Views:	1067
Size:	66.0 KB
ID:	3259   Click image for larger version

Name:	7-sensors.jpg
Views:	1113
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	3260  
__________________
I'm not an HVAC technician. In fact, I'm barely even a hacker...

Last edited by AC_Hacker; 06-30-13 at 03:24 PM..
AC_Hacker is offline   Reply With Quote
 


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:20 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2024, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Ad Management by RedTyger
Inactive Reminders By Icora Web Design