EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Geothermal & Heat Pumps
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-07-15, 01:49 PM   #11
NeilTheCop
Helper EcoRenovator

Ours is a 2 ton for a little over 1700 square feet. I did the manual J twice, because I thought I had got it wrong, calculated for 76 inside and 110 outside, and it seems to work just fine.
But when we moved in we had thin plywood panels rather than drywall so I tore everything out, added another row of 2x4's which allowed a thickness of 9 - 10" of fiberglass bat in the walls, about R-30. And along with low E-windows and doors, powered attic fans etc, you get the idea, it's well insulated

NeilTheCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-15, 02:41 PM   #12
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Nice. That makes for a small unit for that sq footage and temps. I was planning to add wall thickness as I remodeled back when we were staying here. We are at a little over 1700sqft and man j using published numbers it requires just over 3 tons. Running the numbers that are more accurate to here its closer to 4 tons. My new unit is going in a different closet as when I remodel the existing closet is going away and becoming part of the master bedroom. So I can't add insulation in the attic till its in as I'm also going to put the vents in the right places too. Back in the 60s they put them all on the interior walls...
I keep our interior temp at 75 but due to those poorly placed vents some of the house is warmer than that.

When I check my prices on ac units the pricing is odd. Often a 4 ton is less than a 3.5 and 2 to 2.5 tons are often as much as larger units.

I'd like to add another unit to my shop so I can work out there in the summer. With my 2 ton running from really morning I can work till around 2pm before it gets too uncomfortable. I like metal buildings but the steel framing transfers so much heat inside and acts like 2" square 40' long radiators. They stay cold and sweat in the winter too.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 11:32 AM   #13
NeilTheCop
Helper EcoRenovator

We hit 108 here yesterday. The A/C would trigger at 80, run for 45 minutes and shut off when it gets down to 78. Takes about 2 hours for it to climb back up to 80.
So I think it's running well within the calculated design
NeilTheCop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-15, 02:31 PM   #14
Elcam84
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Nice sounds like the insulating was done well. If I kept ours at 80 it would cycle more and we have kept it at that in the past but I'm tired if being hot outside and inside and I can't sleep when it's warm either.
Elcam84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-15, 10:26 AM   #15
Daox
Administrator

Did you ever get the leak fixed? Was it your brazing or something else?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote