EcoRenovator  

Go Back   EcoRenovator > Improvements > Appliances & Gadgets
Advanced Search

Blog 60+ Home Energy Saving Tips Recent Posts Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-21-08, 06:53 PM   #1
SVOboy
Administrator

Default A bicycle power generator

Now, I figure there's not gadget made yet, but I was wondering what the actually probability of tying up a generator to the grid would be? Easy? Hard? Anyone have any DIY resources?

SVOboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 01:01 PM   #2
Daox
Administrator

Instructables has a lot of ideas. I would think you could use those and hook them up to a grid tie inverter without any problems.

http://www.instructables.com/tag/?q=...c=on&sort=none

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
&
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Daox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-08, 05:14 PM   #3
dcb
Lurking Renovator

As I recall, there are some kinds of induction motors that will push back into the grid just by pushing them a few %rpm over their rated speed. Connected with a freewheel and some gears to your crank, and it seems real doable.
dcb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-09, 08:52 PM   #4
MetroMPG
Infrequent noob

Not aiming for grid tie, but I'm going to tackle a bike based DC generator: http://ecorenovator.org/forum/applia...generator.html

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

• To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MetroMPG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 07:15 AM   #5
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVOboy View Post
Now, I figure there's not gadget made yet, but I was wondering what the actually probability of tying up a generator to the grid would be? Easy? Hard? Anyone have any DIY resources?
I did this a year or two ago. I used an old single phase 1/3 hp induction motor and one of those bike trainers with a fan. I removed the fan and put a small lovejoy coupling on and mounted the whole thing to a wood board. I mounted the motor to the board aligned with the coupling. I monitored the power thru a mechanical watthour meter like utilities use. I could tell the direction of power flow from the spinning disk. It worked , but not well for my pedaling abilities . I could back feed only 20-40 watts while maxing out my pedaling power. Most of the power was used just getting the motor to pass zero power (between using and making power). Plus the ratio was a little too high feeding a 4 pole motor (1725 rpm). I believe 3 phase induction are the most efficeint way to do this but there have to be capacitors of a certain value on the unused phase(s) (I'm currently looking into this for wind power). Either way, small scale induction grid tie hasn't appeared to be very practical. I did the same trainer set-up with a DC motor and had a much more efficient set-up, but no grid tie. You could always try matching a dc motor with an Enphase grid tie inverter. That would probably be the more efficient way of doing it with grid interaction.

Last edited by jwxr7; 01-15-09 at 07:17 AM..
jwxr7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-09, 07:31 AM   #6
jwxr7
Apprentice EcoRenovator

The contraption is mostly still together, minus the motor. So I took some pics of it. The dc motor is a 1/2 hp 100v 1800 rpm (still wrong for my ratio). I imagine a dc treadmill motor would be an excellent choice for the ratio my set-up has. Or one could make a larger roller that contacts the bike tire to better match the generator. The induction motor is boxed away so no pics of it.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000729.JPG
Views:	632
Size:	77.8 KB
ID:	51   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000730.jpg
Views:	716
Size:	95.5 KB
ID:	52   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1000731.JPG
Views:	788